Determining pied

AB03Sam

Songster
5 Years
Dec 30, 2018
Alberta, Canada
What qualifies as pied? I have a few birds that have white flights and throat latches, but they also have a small amount of white on the lower shoulders, above the flight feathers. Would these be considered pied?

C4C05B3D-BB91-470F-B332-5122D0CD53E0.jpeg

This is an old picture from last year, but the cameo in front left side eating out of the feeder is an example of how they look.

The determining factor is which genes they have and many times you have to breed them to find out. Pied is one White and one Pied gene, split Pied is one Pied gene, Dark Pied has two Pied genes, split white is one White gene, split WE is one WE gene and full WE is two WE genes. The easy way to find out is to breed to a White, (two White genes) which will add one White gene to a split or Dark Pied making a Pied chick. Adding a White gene to a split White will make White.

There are some clues on your hen above that indicate that she is either a single or full White Eye hen. She not only has the White flights and white throat patch but also has the white frosting on the tips of the back feathers showing White Eye. If she had a massive amount of white frosted back feathers she would be split Silver Pied. However, she has the patch high on the wing like many Dark Pieds do so she could be a Dark Pied split WE.

Any bird that carries any amount of Pied markings is Pied. Dark Pied might not have any white on them at all but is still Pied, you only need to add the White gene to make it show visually. The hardest part is determining between split Pied and split White which can be done by breeding to a White. This is why it is important to keep good records but unfortunately, many people don't care, they just have a bunch of birds breeding willy nelly and pass on their mystery to anyone willing to buy them.

The determining factor is which genes they have and many times you have to breed them to find out. Pied is one White and one Pied gene, split Pied is one Pied gene, Dark Pied has two Pied genes, split white is one White gene, split WE is one WE gene and full WE is two WE genes. The easy way to find out is to breed to a White, (two White genes) which will add one White gene to a split or Dark Pied making a Pied chick. Adding a White gene to a split White will make White.

There are some clues on your hen above that indicate that she is either a single or full White Eye hen. She not only has the White flights and white throat patch but also has the white frosting on the tips of the back feathers showing White Eye. If she had a massive amount of white frosted back feathers she would be split Silver Pied. However, she has the patch high on the wing like many Dark Pieds do so she could be a Dark Pied split WE.

Any bird that carries any amount of Pied markings is Pied. Dark Pied might not have any white on them at all but is still Pied, you only need to add the White gene to make it show visually. The hardest part is determining between split Pied and split White which can be done by breeding to a White. This is why it is important to keep good records but unfortunately, many people don't care, they just have a bunch of birds breeding willy nelly and pass on their mystery to anyone willing to buy them.
Thank you. I don’t have enough pens to test breed them to white so I will have to sell them. I keep records of what every pen has in them and what chicks come out of what pen. I just wasn’t sure if they were pied or split to something. I did have cameo pied in that pen and was told my peacock Carries a pied gene but haven’t been able to produce cameo pied chicks. My peacock also is white eye. I guess split white eye because he only has some white eye feathers. So that’s where that is coming from. I fortunate to have a cameo pied so the pied hens will go with him from now on.

Thank you. I don’t have enough pens to test breed them to white so I will have to sell them. I keep records of what every pen has in them and what chicks come out of what pen. I just wasn’t sure if they were pied or split to something. I did have cameo pied in that pen and was told my peacock Carries a pied gene but haven’t been able to produce cameo pied chicks. My peacock also is white eye. I guess split white eye because he only has some white eye feathers. So that’s where that is coming from. I fortunate to have a cameo pied so the pied hens will go with him from now on.
That hen bred back to her daddy Pied / WE can produce 12-25% full WE and 25% Pied and 50% split Pied and WE with a small % of Cameo White. Daddy has one White, one Pied and one WE gene, hen has at least one WE gene and at least one Pied gene if not two. A variety of patterns are possible working with those two and of course a lot of splits as well.

Really irritates me when that happens. When split or not split can make or break prices and reputations mystery birds are better just as pets.

Back
Top Bottom