Devastating loss. Graphic pictures please help!

I'll second or third racoonies. Whenever we get a hawk issue they look like they've been blown up. Feathers everywhere, usually at ten - twenty foot increments of feather piles in whatever direction they've taken them. It takes a bit of effort to keep a grip on something struggling and fly and they seem to have to adjust every so far.

Dogs also leave feather piles. They seem to catch and release multiple times before killing. They're more all over the place though and they go in the direction of the dogs home base.

Raccoon's - or possums have been our happy little beheaders. They don't stick around to eat the whole thing, just leave behind maimed carcasses.

When we see this, is usually means there is a tree somewhere on our fence line overhanging a fence and giving them a nice concealed entry into the pens.

Our larger predators, mountain lions and coyotes leave no trace other than a dew line in the back field, but knock on wood the yards are so human active and unpredictable, that we don't see them come within 50 yards for the most part unless they're really desperate. There are others who have chickens and other animals within a mile of us, so we don't have to be perfectly predator proof, just moreso than the other locals with animals. Mostly they'll move along to easier hunting. We have orchards around us, so small game for them is pretty secure outside of the hottest summer months when they come down looking for water. Again knock on wood.

Sorry to hear about your loss. It sucks to suddenly have to wonder where, who and when the next raid will be.

When i called the department of fish and game about killing or relocating the Great horned owl that got into my coop. the conservation officer told me to open my coop and release the owl (it had got in during the night and couldn't get out.). I told her it would come back and get more of my birds and she said "then you better build a better coop." she said birds of prey are protected and killing them for any reason is illegal via federal law.

so unless we can convince Obama to institute another one of his stupid executive actions to allow us to shoot birds of prey that kill chickens. The hawks and owls can eat all of our chickens with no penalty.

However, I did find a falconer that was willing to trap a red-tailed hawk that was killing my hens. he said that his falconers license allowed him to trap wild birds of prey to be trained as hunters. the hawk ended up never coming back after the 3rd hen is consumed. so he never got her trapped.

I don't know if will have any luck with this route but it is worth a shot.

f
When i called the department of fish and game about killing or relocating the Great horned owl that got into my coop.  the conservation officer told me to open my coop and release the owl (it had got in during the night and couldn't get out.). I told her it would come back and get more of my birds and she said "then you better build a better coop."  she said birds of prey are protected and killing them for any reason is illegal via federal law.

so unless we can convince Obama to institute another one of his stupid executive actions to allow us to shoot birds of prey that kill chickens.  The hawks and owls can eat all of our chickens with no penalty.

However,  I did find a falconer that was willing to trap a red-tailed hawk that was killing my hens.  he said that his falconers license allowed him to trap wild birds of prey to be trained as hunters.  the hawk ended up never coming back after the 3rd hen is consumed. so he never got her trapped.  

I don't know if will have any luck with this route but it is worth a shot.

It is so easy to remodel a coop to deny raptors access. So very easy. To use your preferred "stupid" approach would cost a lot more unless you are not gainfully employed in a manner that keeps you away from watching the coop around the clock. On average you first will loose a bird or two before you get idea about time you need to be out then you will have to sit out and wait for good shot. Time is money. I assume weapon not a cost. I also assume no traps although proper use of such which could make operation less costly especially against owl. Low end investment for killing will be $100. How does that compare to changes to coop?

I live in NJ and I checked the department of wildlife management website for info about hawks. It says that hawks must kill other birds for food and humans have no right to interrupt that process simply because we favor the presence of the bird that is prey upon by hawks. It says if you are against having a hawk kill another bird on your property, don't do things to attract other birds to your property such as put out bird seeds, bird baths, etc. It advises hawks will continue to kill other birds, just not where you can see it and cause you to be offended by it. It doesn't address chickens specifically, but I'm pretty sure there isn't a number small enough to represent how little they would care about my chickens if I were to call them about a hawk attack. I don't blame the government though. I don't expect to raise my chickens to the top of the food chain so I am willing to compromise their freedom of movement in exchange for more protection. I have a decent size run and only let them out to free range for just a couple hours a day, maybe longer if I'll be outside with them.

Coopers Hawk. Fully adult standard sized rooster in good feather can repel those with ease. Rooster would go after hawk on ground like that and thump it good if not taking situation seriously. My game hens will even give it a go.

Hen / pullet-only flocks particularly vulnerable to Coopers Hawk. Juveniles and chicks without adults even more vulnerable.
Heather, the truth is that Coopers hawks eat pullets and hens like you or I devour pop-corn. Take what centerchid posted as the truth, especially the part about chicks and juveniles.

I down loaded a rather long video about falconry in Saudi Arabia. The Saudis' prefer to trap and train a falcon species called a Saker Falcon. This falcon is roughly the same size as a Red Tail or Coopers hawk.
Saker falcons are trapped using small Monofilament nooses attached to the small wire cage that is used to hold the bait bird, usually a pigeon. A number zero long spring steel trap with padded jaws would also likely work with little or no harm coming to the raptor.

An interesting side issue is that during the "Manning" or taming phase of the Saker's training a small weight is attached to the falcons feet to keep it from escaping. This weight is a small sack of sand about the size of a woman's fist. So there is little danger of a hawk or falcon flying the coop with your poultry.
To view this video you must click on the link below. This vid is well worth the watch if you want a greater insight into raptors preying on your poultry.

VtIhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM8W55W-VtII

0.jpg

It says "playback on other websites has been disabled by the owner."

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom