Development of USA Lavender Orpington - Update PICs pg 8

Quote:
Lavender dilutes black to a gray/silver color. So if you mean like a white bird with black lacing, yes you could make a white bird with lavender lacing. The white would not change, since it's the absence of color but the black would be gray.

I wouldn't recommend using buff orps if you want to get to pure lavender, as it will take longer. Buffs are more complex than black, so will produce a lot more variables in the lavender project.

Here are some pics I got of the youngsters the other night..just before roost time.

You can compare the size in this first pic by looking at the feeder that cockerel is standing next too. That is a 30 lb feeder on top of a hollywood concrete block. The birds are on alert so standing taller than their norm because of me taking pics, but I think we have some good potential growing out to select for next year's breeders.

034-1.jpg

039-1.jpg

038-1.jpg

036.jpg

029-1.jpg

026.jpg

022-1.jpg

020-1.jpg

017.jpg

Oh okay, iwas just wondering because my brother has a really nice buff orp rooster (which was supposed to be a hen) and another rooster who come from breeder stock and judges seem to like them and he did really well so far with them, but we really like the lavenders over buff so we were wondering if we could rebuild our flock with lavender hens. But since it wouldn't be beneficial to the project, nevermind.

Jodi, the feather quality looks really great in those most recent photos! I have 3 mo old lavender Orp chicks from a local breeder who got her stock from you, and I can tell that the feather quality is still poor in my birds, which I know comes with the lavender gene. I'm really excited to work on the project and can't wait to see that quality improve. I'm working with black orps from the same breeder who got her BBS Orps from Julie / Bamachicken. They are the same age, so it will be a while before I can hatch any eggs from them! I know there are almost a half dozen of us in Western Washington working on the project. Thanks for sharing the project with us all!

Thanks so much Tamara! I do feel selecting for feather quality along the way helps a lot, along with breeding them back to good quality black orps, but I also believe the mutation can continue to impact the plumage generations to come. So I'm sure it will be a constant work in progress with lavender to make sure they stay beautiful, once we all get them there. It sounds like you're off to a terrific start. Julie's birds will be an excellent compliment to the project. So exciting to hear so many folks out there working on the project. This is great news! I wish everyone much success!

hinkjc,

Just found this thread you were refering to. Followed the link on the Lavender thread which didn't see until now since there havn't been any new posts till today. Your birds are gorgeous and can't wait for the day when my lavs are as beautiful as yours. Thanks for the pics.

Holy MOLY! You can really see the size coming on them now. They are stunning, you've done a fabulous job with them.
bow.gif
You are really close to the Orp SOP.

I understand your reasons for not elaborating on the first boy and how he came to be, but I have to admit I'm curious about it. And as someone that is getting into breeding, I could learn a ton from you. I can only hope that someday I will be that lucky to get something one of a kind, and hopefully I'll have enough wisdom to recognize it. It has to be a fantastic feeling to create a new variety in a breed - tangible proof of your success.

Congrats, you deserve it!
bow.gif

I'm hoping to get a nice day tomorrow to get some more pics of the birds to post. I also want to separate the cockerels out, as they're starting to get feisty with the pullets and the ladies are just not interested in them yet. lol Thanks so much for your nice comments!

Back
Top Bottom