Deworming

madisonmama

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 8, 2012
North Florida
I want to deworm my flock (100+). Starting with Wazine and following up with Safegaurd. What is the easiest way to give a Safegaurd to 100+ chickens?

I have found safeguard to be ineffective when treating chickens for worms ( other than round worm). I would recommend usi[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ng Ivermectin instead as you can ensure that all your birds have been treated (as you administer is by dropping the droplets on the back of chicken's necks). Ivermectin also kills gapeworm, which safeguard doesn't. If you want to use safeguard there are 2 main ways of administrating chickens. Either using the cattle safeguard paste- which you put on the chicken's beak ( Unfortunately you cannot guarantee that the chicken will actually eat it and it is time consuming). The second option is giving them Safeguard pellets to eat. If you give them the pellets you must make sure that the chickens have no other food supply as the pellets don't taste particularly nice so the chickens tend to avoid eating them ( this may be the easier way for you to treat your birds though).[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Personally I think Ivermectin is a better wormer, and it kills lice and mites too. It is also quick to administrate and you can be positive that all your birds have been treated if you catch and worm each hens individually. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hope this helped :)[/FONT]

Back
Top Bottom