Differences EE, Ameraucana, & Araucana * Pls post pics*

Pics
Hello, I think I have three EE chickens. In the pics are my white colored hen and the redish/brown rooster - the only rooster I have - in the other pic is a gray hen with some brown colored breast feathers.

What are the proper names for these color configurations? From what I've read on here, would the white one be consider "splash"

I have nine green colored eggs (from the white hen) under a different "broody" hen. What can/should I expect for chick colors?

whitehenandrooster.jpg

grayhen.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality photos. cell phone and the gray hen didnt want her pic taken... she was on the move

Quote:
Neat! A columbian EE! The white hen is of Culombian color, the red rooster is of a VERY poor quality Blue Wheaten type color, and the brown hen is a Wheaten/BBR type color. Yes, they're all Easter Eggers.
smile.png

There's technically no proper name for the colors, as they're mutts, bot those are the closest.

From chicks, you should expect red/blue columbian splash type colors, and more wheaten/bbr colors.

Quote:
Are you saying my particular rooster is poor quality, or this color in general designates a very poor quality?

He was malled by a dog a few weeks ago. Thats why his feathers look so bad. The dog pulled out most of his tail feathers - had some nice looking long ones - also pulled most of the feathers off his back. You can see in the pic that his right leg has a big knot on it just above the ankle.... thats where his leg was broke. I'm hoping the dog returns, I AM prepared now.
smile.png

Also, in reference to colors, what is BBR?

Thanks

Quote:
Are you saying my particular rooster is poor quality, or this color in general designates a very poor quality?

He was malled by a dog a few weeks ago. Thats why his feathers look so bad. The dog pulled out most of his tail feathers - had some nice looking long ones - also pulled most of the feathers off his back. You can see in the pic that his right leg has a big knot on it just above the ankle.... thats where his leg was broke. I'm hoping the dog returns, I AM prepared now.
smile.png

Also, in reference to colors, what is BBR?

Thanks

Well there is no "good" or "bad" quality on EEs, because they're mutts.
wink.png
What I'm saying is that if he were to be a Blue Wheaten, it would be a poor example of Blue Wheaten, as he has a LOT of red leakage in the chest, wings, tail, etc. But he's an EE, so it's all about the owner's own tastes.
smile.png

In Ameraucanas, Blue Wheaten should be a nice blue on the primaries, tail, underside, and chest as well as beard.
smile.png
The rest is red.

DSC_0039.jpg

This is a picture of my EE, named Missy. She's so sweet; we love her very much.

After spending a few hours on BYC I have fallen in love with the Blue and the Blue Wheaten Ameraucana. Thanks for all the great pictures. They are gorgeous. I have located an ABC Breeder in Georgia and made initial contact with him; hope he responds to my communication. Can anyone recommend a good resource on breeding?

Thanks so much for all the good information!

CJ

Quote:
Very nice EEs . If the colors are showing true in the pic , that white hen is white columbian with the black diluted to blue , very nice . The roo appears to be the male version of the hen behind him [ partridge ] but also blue . Last hen is too blurred , and there's some mixing of patterns , but almost looks like blue laced red . You really have some nice EE .

Illia - "he has a LOT of red leakage in the chest, wings, tail, etc."------- crystal clear now, thanks I thought you could tell from the pic that he had something physically wrong that would casue him to be a poor example.

SteveH - thank you. The white hen is very pretty. I had a picture of her in front of a snow bank this spring, had to look very close becasue of the gravel pieces in the snow made for good camoflauge. I'll try to get a better pic of the gray hen.

Quote:
You're welcome , is the black on the first two muted to grayish [ blue ] . If so , and I'm correct at guessing he's primarily a multilaced partridge like I think the hen behind him is , you will get some regular gold or red columbians , but some with blue tails , and some with white and blue because they're splash .

JMO, but I think the lav is more striking in the araucana than in the ameraucana. beautiful birds
big_smile.png

(wouldn't want to send me that rumpless/clean faced pullet to put with my lav split rumpless/triple tufted roo would ya
wink.png
)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom