Differences EE, Ameraucana, & Araucana * Pls post pics*

Pics
Can anyone help me with what kind of pullets these are? They were marked at Rural King as Araucanas. I think they're Easter Eggers. Rural king also had my Barrad Rock pulleys marked as ISA Browns.

Last edited:
I guess I'm still confused - what makes them Easter Eggers? Reading the breed summaries at the beginning of this thread - my birds have pea comb, no wattle, slate legs, reddish earlobe, muffs and lay pale blue and pale green eggs. Is it possibly the feather coloring? Does that make it not a true Ameraucana? Is my birds' beak natural or horn color? Sorry, for all of the questions, I've only had birds for 3 years, am still learning and appreciate all of the help that I've gotten here! This site has been amazing for a beginner like me! Thanks everyone!

Steve
Little Birch Farm

1 Seabrite, 1 Chinese Crested, 1 Brahma, 2 Cochin, 2 Cochin Roosters, 3 Black Austerlorp, 4 Ameraucana, 5 Danish Brown Leghorn, 5 New Hampshire Red, 5 Mottled Anconas, 5 Gold Laced Wyandotte, 3 Black Indian Runner Ducks, 3 Blue Swedish Ducks, 9 Canine family members - and oh yeah, 3 humans!

The problems with the hatchery birds is they are not standard body shape, comb shape, sparse beards, feather color, skin color, or egg color.

I have 13 EE hens. They don't look like my wheaten ameraucanas in body. All my wheatens have the same shape.

The 2 EE that are 1/4 silkie look like their mothers, same coloring and mixed bag of traits. One lays a blue, the other a green because she carries the brown gene like her hatchery mother.

I like my hatchery EEs, they are good layers of mostly green or khaki eggs. Of the 12 I bought, only one doesn't carry brown egg gene. Her eggs match my ameraucanas.

Last edited:

This chick has a beautiful dark grey belly. It has no red. The red is from the lamp. So is this called a blue and will it change to something else when it gets its main feathers?

IF the only color on it is dark greys it's probably a blue. As to whether or not it'll change when all the feathers are in, I wouldn't care to guess. On a blue the head at least is a darker grey.

I have a little chick I was told is an Ameracauna/EE. Does anyone recognize this little guy, know what breed it is if it's not an EE, or know what she/he might look like when they feather out?

So, here's my question... I know that Ameraucana and Araucana folks are VERY sensitive to having someone call their bird either when it is a "hatchery EE". It usually comes down to "the leg color screams EE". What if the rest of the bird looks like an Ameraucana or an Araucana but the leg color is "off". Is the leg color the primary determining factor in whether the bird is an Amerauana, Arauacana or EE? It all just seems so petty to me sometimes, in reading the different breed threads. I am not trying to start anything but sometimes it just seems to get ridiculous. Sometimes we just want to know "what color" or "what sex" is our bird, and it turns into "that's not an Ameraucana/Araucana, that's an EE".

This pullet was about 6 months old in this picture, was sold as an Ameraucana, is it the legs that make her an EE?

This one is 11 weeks old, was sold as an Araucana, has no tail, small tuffs. Is it the legs that make it an EE?

So, here's my question... I know that Ameraucana and Araucana folks are VERY sensitive to having someone call their bird either when it is a "hatchery EE". It usually comes down to "the leg color screams EE". What if the rest of the bird looks like an Ameraucana or an Araucana but the leg color is "off". Is the leg color the primary determining factor in whether the bird is an Amerauana, Arauacana or EE? It all just seems so petty to me sometimes, in reading the different breed threads. I am not trying to start anything but sometimes it just seems to get ridiculous. Sometimes we just want to know "what color" or "what sex" is our bird, and it turns into "that's not an Ameraucana/Araucana, that's an EE".

This pullet was about 6 months old in this picture, was sold as an Ameraucana, is it the legs that make her an EE?

This one is 11 weeks old, was sold as an Araucana, has no tail, small tuffs. Is it the legs that make it an EE?

Its the fact that she has a beard and muffs that make her not an araucana, and they have green legs and are not a recognized color that make them not araucana or ameraucana. Tufts look totally different than what your birds have. Ameraucana are white skinned birds which means they will never have yellow or green legs. If your birds has yellow or green legs it is not an ameraucana but a hatchery mix breed bird. Hatcheries DO NOT carry araucana. The genetics behind them are lethal in two copies and therefor make them a difficult breed to propagate and 75% of the progeny of two purebred araucana do not meet the Standard of Perfection to be an araucana because they do not have tufts, therefor it is not worth the hassle or lack of money for hatcheries to breed and sell purebred araucana.

Here are a few of my araucana, as you can see they have tufts which are totally different that the beard and muff of your birds.

Lanae Cash
Cash's Blue Eggs
www.cashsblueeggs.com
[email protected]

Back
Top Bottom