Differences EE, Ameraucana, & Araucana * Pls post pics*

Pics
ok. So if the colouring isn't like the "standard" it has to be a mix breed? not just abnormal colouring?
Forgot to say thank you! Thanks :)
http://ameraucanaalliance.org/faq.html#One
Quote:
What is an Ameraucana?
The colors/patterns of the birds in the photos above are not Standard varieties in any breed because they are just mixed...not true breeding colors/patterns.

Last edited:
So my local hardware sold red stars and Ameracaunas, or so they listed. The 4- week old dark colored chick was supposed to be a red star. NOT! From these posts, it looks like I have easter-eggers. Can someone help me confirm?

Is it unusual for a blue wheaten cockerel to have a white head at 8 weeks? if he bred to true females would the chances of the chicks coming out proper be 50%?

So I've learned "wild type" birds come from crossing two purebred ameraucana's that don't colour match... like black with wheaten.. 50% of the chicks will end up brown wild and the roosters get a whole lot of white. They are purebred, but they are not to standard and if bred they pass this "wild" easily.

Last edited:
Is it unusual for a blue wheaten cockerel to have a white head at 8 weeks? if he bred to true females would the chances of the chicks coming out proper be 50%?

So I've learned "wild type" birds come from crossing two purebred ameraucana's that don't colour match... like black with wheaten.. 50% of the chicks will end up brown wild and the roosters get a whole lot of white. They are purebred, but they are not to standard and if bred they pass this "wild" easily.

Actually no....

Black crossed with wheaten will make black. Black is pretty dominant.

I am not sure how many times you would have to cross out to different breeds before the wild type coloring showed up in chicks, but it is more than once.

I have a Black Ameraucana cockerel over some Ameraucanas as well as a bunch of other breed hens.

The Black Ameraucana cockerel over:
White Leghorn = white chick that grows up white with a few black feathers
Dark brown Leghorn = either a black chick that grows up black
Or A black chick with a brown wash over the face that grows up black with some brown stippling in wing feathers
Black Leghorn = duh, all black
Bright red/mutt hen = black chick, grows up to be black
Dominique (cuckoo pattern) = male chicks are black with a white spot on their head and grow up to by cuckoo, and female chicks hatch black and grow up to be black.

I have standard sized Black Ameraucana and then Bantam Wheaten... Not sure about the white head... But I don't really pay attention to their coloring at 8 weeks. Wheaten go through color changes before they are done.

No wheaten cockerel should have a white head at 8 weeks... wheaten or blue wheaten should all have red heads... and purebred but not to standard coloring is still considered an EE an not an Ameraucana...

No wheaten cockerel should have a white head at 8 weeks... wheaten or blue wheaten should all have red heads... and purebred but not to standard coloring is still considered an EE an not an Ameraucana...
The chicks she was referencing did have red through the back of the head and neck. The face, beard, and muffs were still pale. They were still feathering in a bit in those spots.

Hi BYC Members! Need some help, please? Looking to confirm my Black Ameraucana Rooster meets the standards, as in APA prescribed standards... I think he does, but value the expert opinions from the members here. I purchased him last August from a BYC seller in central VA so at this point I just want to gain some confirmation... His comb looked unique to me, but appears to meet the pea comb standard... Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Hi BYC Members! Need some help, please? Looking to confirm my Black Ameraucana Rooster meets the standards, as in APA prescribed standards... I think he does, but value the expert opinions from the members here. I purchased him last August from a BYC seller in central VA so at this point I just want to gain some confirmation... His comb looked unique to me, but appears to meet the pea comb standard... Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

It is always difficult to judge by photos only, but he appears to be a "standard" Ameraucana.

Back
Top Bottom