Disturbing art

Quote:
Only if the head was on wall, and the back end with the tail was on the other side of the wall in the next room.
tongue2.gif

I had to go to see a local exhibition the other day as part of our art course... There were some pieces that we all wondered as to the point of, but then I read the descriptions and things seemed to make more sense.

One of them was a picture of a few dead fish from the market, seemed a bit pointless to me until I saw the caption. "Even small, seemingly insignificant lives have magnitude by their existence alone".

I've seen some pretty strange things in the galleries. My Mom is a painter, but works with other mediums (charcoal, pencil, etc.) and so were both of her parents. I still have paintings they did and some of the sketches from my grandma. Never saw anything that I would define as "beyond the pale" in THEIR work. However - here about six month ago I took my kiddo to the galleries near here. There was a section of very graphic artwork by Richard Turansky which just seemed dark to me and I ended up not looking through all of his paintings because of their nature.. I do prefer more of the traditional feel in things I would hang in my home, but it doesn't have to be raindows and unicorns and cute little bunnies, LOL!

Quote:
Only if it were done in good taste.
Meant to respond to Imp's post about the cat.

I didn't post about the cat, but thought about it a while.

Decades ago when I was in some art classes the definition af art was threefold...

1- Made by humans
2- Intended to be art
3- Has a subject

So I guess mounting a cat to a wall could be considered art, if it passed through a taxidermist before mounting. If the cat was still alive it would be a felony here in Wa.
sickbyc.gif

Most people define art-
If they like it, it is art; if they don't like it, it is garbage.

Imp

Art can be a very personal experience.

I do like some of the dark, bizzare stuff, but I also like traditional stuff as well. I'm a metalsmith, but also did/do alot of drawing. One time I was working in the drawing studio at college and I was ticked at the drawing teacher (she had a habbit of calling me a b*t* H when I did someting she liked.... I didn't appreciate it.... so I used real dead fish in a peice... it definatly evoked some emotions and it stunk up her studio something awful too.

I guess it comes down to personal taste, but dead animals, chicken heads? Who buys that kind of stuff?
I quite like some of Mark Ryden's stuff. Cute and creepy...

Hope I didn't upset any cat lovers
hide.gif

ray's two cents :

I had to go to see a local exhibition the other day as part of our art course... There were some pieces that we all wondered as to the point of, but then I read the descriptions and things seemed to make more sense.

One of them was a picture of a few dead fish from the market, seemed a bit pointless to me until I saw the caption. "Even small, seemingly insignificant lives have magnitude by their existence alone".

that is my thought...studied art, graduated art major in High school and college.......

I do recall a painting of a beheaded man with all the gory details of neck, seeing the spine, estophgus, trachea, along with blood vessels. His eyes were open, looking at you, the viewer......you get the picture..... From what I can see what the background scene was, in the Middle Ages which beheading was common. It was very thought provoking and you can imagine what the people were so immune seeing that day in and day out, like we do today with all the violence going on.

Now Van Gogh........I would not touch his paintings or just hated his pictures whenever I see them in an office. I see nothing attractive just someone with a troubled mind. (shutters) I prefer Monet.​

Same here, can't understand the fuss. Some distant relative of mine owns a Van Gogh, original. Don't even know which one, that's how much I care.
hu.gif

Seen some old masters when I lived in the Netherlands, now THAT is art.
Same with poetry. Everything goes nowadays. Recently discovered Tennyson, love "Song" Beautiful poem.

Back
Top Bottom