Disturbing art

I love Van Gogh because I love his pallete and the way he used the brushes. I like a variety of art and styles from all different time periods. I mostly don't like the "art snob" scene where you have to do something gross or provocative in order to be considered "the in thing" in the art world.

I know someone who hangs art for a gallery that said all realistic art is boring and he would never hang a show with realistic art. However, many shows he did hang didn't get very favorable reaction from the public. But, some really disturbing and provocative shows got rave reviews from people who like to collect art. I don't understand it, but I guess that's what collectors are buying.

I love Van Gogh because I love his pallete and the way he used the brushes

Oh! Me too. Van Gogh is my favorite artist. I have a few framed prints and several books about him. Funny how the reactions differ. I always thought of his work as a contrast to his dark life.

Now
Heironymus Bosch

is a little different for me. I find his work odd but interesting. But would never willingly hang it up in my house. Not because it's odd or disturbing, but because it reminds me of those posters you could buy in the 1970s and color yourself with markers.
roll.png
I know stupid isn't it?

and animal parts, depends on what it is. I have a small collection of ivory, baleen, whale bone, and walrus tusk.

Many years ago a local library built a sculpture garden, and installed about a dozen sculptures. One in particular raised the ire of people. The library absolutely refused to remove it. It was a pregnant nude woman with a buffalo head/antlers. It upset people on so many levels that of course I had to go see it. It stood an intimidating 7 feet tall,. I spent about an hour standing under it, went from hmmm weird to hmmm very nice.

Imp- I also came to understand why there are benches in front of the art in many museums.

Edited for accuracy.​

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh! Me too. Van Gogh is my favorite artist. I have a few framed prints and several books about him. Funny how the reactions differ. I always thought of his work as a contrast to his dark life.

Now
Heironymus Bosch

is a little different for me. I find his work odd but interesting. But would never willingly hang it up in my house. Not because it's odd or disturbing, but because it reminds me of those posters you could buy in the 1970s and color yourself with markers.
roll.png
I know stupid isn't it?

and animal parts, depends on what it is. I have a small collection of ivory, baleen, whale bone, and walrus tusk.

Many years ago a local library built a sculpture garden, and installed about a dozen sculptures. One in particular raised the ire of people. The library absolutely refused to remove it. It was a nude woman with a deer head/antlers, with her arms raised to the sky. It upset people on so many levels that of course I had to go see it. It stood an intimidating 10 feet tall. I spent about an hour standing under it, went from hmmm weird to hmmm very nice.

Imp- I also came to understand why there are benches in front of the art in many museums.​

I like the idea of the statue of the woman with the deer head - how cool is that?

Quote:

Now
Heironymus Bosch

roll.png
I know stupid isn't it?

Many years ago a local library built a sculpture garden, and installed about a dozen sculptures. One in particular raised the ire of people. The library absolutely refused to remove it. It was a nude woman with a deer head/antlers, with her arms raised to the sky. It upset people on so many levels that of course I had to go see it. It stood an intimidating 10 feet tall. I spent about an hour standing under it, went from hmmm weird to hmmm very nice.

Imp- I also came to understand why there are benches in front of the art in many museums.​

I like the idea of the statue of the woman with the deer head - how cool is that?

http://www.annmorrisbronze.com/hercry.html

Is that the sculpture?

I generally love dark, disturbing art. I've made a bit of it myself. but I can't stand truly offensive, nausea inducing stuff... I'd have to see the chicken head painting to make up my mind on it. Any links?

My favorite artist is Salvadore Dali, by the way.
wink.png

mom'sfolly :

Disturbing art...try Heironymus Bosch...

Speaking of which... Easter Eggs?

If you look at the fox at the bottom left corner, and then look just below the yellow crack to the left of the fox, you'll see Bosch painted a teeny, sleeping chicken!​

For some reason, I liked this one:

A_SouterC.jpg

I'm not a fan of dark, disturbing paintings, but that's probably just me!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom