Dixie Rainbows Thread

These girls are so stinking friendly that I have finally decided to keep them for eggs! I called the Hatchery this morning and the gal said they lay over 250 eggs a year and lay very large brown eggs. With as friendly as these girls are, I have gotten rather attached and really was not liking the idea of processing them... Instead, I am going to order 100 of the meat chick mix (all boys) and grow them out instead! They are much cheaper anyway! LOL

Thought I would add a few new photos of the Dixie Rainbow pullets as they grow...

The Dixie in the next photo was hatched the same exact day as the Speckled Sussex chicks - you can see the size difference!

Just a quick update on these girls - I have quite a variety of colors, from one that is all buff and looks almost like a Buff Orp, to some that are very dark. They are all very bold, active and social. They love to play and explore and are absolutely HUGE! I'll try to get some new photos soon. :)

Just a quick update on these girls - I have quite a variety of colors, from one that is all buff and looks almost like a Buff Orp, to some that are very dark. They are all very bold, active and social. They love to play and explore and are absolutely HUGE! I'll try to get some new photos soon. :)

Im glad I found this thread, Do you have any new pics of yours? I have one Dixie Rainbow that is 15-16 weeks. She is absolutely Huge! She is also very social.

pop.gif

It has been really hot here, so they are all hiding under the porch. The Dixies are about 20 weeks old (and most are laying already) and the RIRs are 7 months old - and the Dixies weigh about twice what the others do! Next year I plan to get some Dixie boys and see how they do for meat birds. I'll keep a couple of the nicest boys to start trying to breed some of my own too. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom