Dixie Rainbows Thread

Pics

My 2 favorite guys! My Dixie Rainbow boy, Pete, weighs about 11 pounds now and is by far my best rooster. I also have 2 blrw roos. Pete takes good care of his ladies and is super sweet. I also have 2 Dixie hens. Trixie is as sweet as she can be. Dixie went broody a couple months ago and was one crazy mama! She sat on those cold eggs for almost 4 weeks before giving up though!

What do you guys think, is this whitish one a rooster? I'm pretty sure the other brown speckled one is, but even the hennish looking ones have these longish tail feathers. Thanks!

What do you guys think, is this whitish one a rooster? I'm pretty sure the other brown speckled one is, but even the hennish looking ones have these longish tail feathers. Thanks!
That top picture is definitely is a rooster. Had one like him once. He made somebody a good pot if dumplings I'm sure. Sold him.

Last edited:

Agree they're both boys- adding to that, the visual difference is due to one being not pure for barring and the lighter one is pure for barring. Barring has a dose effect, 2 doses make for a lighter colored birds.

I think he's pretty. :)

Thank you all!

I was hoping the white barred one was a roo. He has a nicer build/shape to him, the speckled one I will list on CL for sale. It is gumbo season here so he will probably make someone a nice big pot.

I am looking into raising these for meat this year, as I have heard the red rangers tend to crow at an early age. I live where I cannot have a rooster crowing. At what age have you noticed these tend to crow? Would it be possible for a complete amateur to be able to tell which are roosters ahead of that time and process them then? Thanks

My Pioneer/Dixie Rainbow was my very first Rooster to crow out of about 45 birds!! VERY easy to tell on him from about 5 weeks on. I think he tried a little baby crow around 8 weeks?

My group of 40 one day old Dixie Rainbows and one of them today at 6 days old. They seem very active and grow fast. I weighed one at a day old and am planning to weigh one each week to get a good idea of how fast they grow.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom