Dixie Rainbows Thread

I only have one hen, decided to sell them off, but kept one to see how she would grow out and lay. She is turned out to be a nice big bird, a little skiddish but not terrified of me. I can definitely seeing these as meat birds. As you will see in the pic below, she is already bigger than the Easter Egger, who is the same age and the Speckled Sussex who is 2 weeks older than her. She does well in this mixed juvenile flock, but she will be moving over to my mix pen soon, with my big Cochin Rooster. I just wasn't impressed with the lot of them, all ended up the same color and they seemed a little lazy, even to free range. She was the spunkiest of the group and the smallest! So here is Dixie, hoping she will be laying within the next month or so!

I bought one Dixie Rainbow (named her Dixie Chick) in March. Back then I could find no info or pics for Dixie Rainbows. At same time I bought some Black Laced Wyannotes (?) and some other black breed. Dixie is very tall, and all buff colored, except a few black "freckles" on her neck and very back. Everyone of my little girls in the juvenile cage are lazy when it come to eating anything but their chicken feed. I am looking for eggs every day now in their pen.

I realize this is an old thread ... We have six Dixie Rainbow hens. Two are reddish (one a darker red than the other with black "freckles" around her neck), two are buff with what used to be much darker "calico" patterns on them (I am new, forgive the incorrect terminology), one entirely buff colored, and one buff colored with a few black-tipped tail feathers and again the subtle black ring of freckles around her neck. They are all HUGE, fluffy, hilarious - and lay very, very large eggs. We don't have any other breeds but these girls are pretty friendly! A couple of them will even sit on your leg for a bit, and the run after us in a little herd when we go out to feed the horses. Very chatty and social ladies. I have zero previous chicken experience and have only had them since March, but we really enjoy them. One of them will try to peck (gently) the freckles on my arms if I bend down to talk to her.

I have 17 of these chicks, hatched 4/16, and purchased them for meat. They are extremely friendly and curious and I am finding myself tempted to just see how they do laying instead... I'll try to get some pics of them when I shift them out to the stall "nursery" this weekend. They are, of course, in the scraggley stage, but I still find them to be very pretty birds!

Here are some of my chicks - hatched 4/16/13 and photo taken today on 5/8/13 - they are at LEAST twic the size of the speckled sussex chicks that were hatched the same day...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom