****** DIY chicken feeder pipe! ******

Pics

Thanks, I was fixing my old pipe feeder, then looked at it and went how do i make the bottom work without all the food coming out? I like your idea, thanks again!
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Thanks, I was fixing my old pipe feeder, then looked at it and went how do i make the bottom work without all the food coming out? I like your idea, thanks again!
big_smile.png

Looks great!!! Did you cut a hole in the trough area? It's hard to see from this photo:)

Thanks for sharing!! Great idea so I have just made two of these using 90mm pipe. One for the chicks in my quarantine pen and one for the bantams on my main one.
Cost was $20 each to buy all the bits from bunnings.

We were thinking of doing a double opening to allow more than one to eat at a time so going to see if they make a double version of the y fitting i bought. If not we plan to buy two and cut and join to make one.

Oh and while the bantams were fine the chicks made a huge mess pulling the food out when they ate so added a 22deg end bit on the opening and think that has fixed it.

Last edited:
Sorry I have been MIA, I took care of my terminally ill father for the past month. Sadly he passed away last Saturday.

I got back home today (the girls were excited to see my daughter - ha!) and checked out the coop. My neighbors and friends took care of my pets while I was gone, they did mention that the feed was depleting rapidly. And sure enough, I moved the coop and looked under it and saw a few rodents scurry away. They had dug holes and tunnels under the plywood brace (my coop has no floor). Since the feed was left open 24\7 I am not surprised this has happened. My friend who has chickens from the same flock (we bought them together, she took 4 and I took 5), says that she saw my chickens flinging food around. I need to rethink this whole free access food thing. Maybe some ideas on a combo that would include a tread activated opening? Also, something to stop them from flinging the food around, maybe a smaller opening?

Wonderful easy idea. I will be using it. Will make 2 at least. I have 14 chickens and keeping up with feeding using the metal feeding gizmo can be time consuming.

God Bless
Carol

Back
Top Bottom