DIY HUMANE way to Kill Slaughter Chicken (Stun-kill, Gas)

I really want to do the katana while the are happily pecking the clog round that way they never see what's coming

After reading this whole thread, I'm pretty set on using the cone and knife method should I ever dispatch a bird.

Despite the numerous posts from people offering the gassing method as an option, there seems to be little personal experience offered of that method. The knife and cone also fit the 'DIY' portion of the title better than the airtight box and tanks of gas.

I would submit that anyone who cannot administer death by their own hands does not deserve to eat meat.
This is a ridiculous notion.

Should anyone that can't write code not deserve to use a computer? Anyone that didn't go to med school not deserve to get medical care? Anyone who can't rebuild a motor doesn't deserve to drive?

I wish every farmer was like you. I'm a vegan and I have one dog and four cats (which are unfortunately for me...carnivores, some vegans actually try feeding cats a vegan diet, too lol). It is surprisingly so hard finding farmers like you. When your farm gets up and running, definitely put a link to your farm's website in your reply to this.
smile.png

PS. I believe you are supposed to put the chicken in the chamber and slowly increase the concentration of argon gas. Low concentrations act as an anesthesia and slowly increasing it results in loss of consciousnesses, and a subsequent painless (prolonged, but painless) death. Don't take them out or else they might regain consciousness.

This is a ridiculous notion.

Should anyone that can't write code not deserve to use a computer? Anyone that didn't go to med school not deserve to get medical care? Anyone who can't rebuild a motor doesn't deserve to drive?

I am not saying that people should have to kill everything they eat. I am saying that people should all know that when they eat meat, they are indirectly killing an animal so why shouldn't they experience a direct killing? There is nothing wrong with indirectly killing it but I wish people were closer to reality.

All those examples you provided are of non-living objects and aren't an effective parallel.

The point was "life and death". If one can't accept killing then they shouldn't eat meat. Likewise, if one can't cull animals at death's door, they shouldn't have animals.

I hope that doesn't sound ridiculous to you.

I was hoping it would never have to come to this but our sweet blue hen Munchkin seems to be going down hill I think she may have internal tumors or egg binding and started an infection on top of the lung infection that never responded to treatment from the vet. So here I am with my sweet blue girl wondering how to end her suffering. She's definitely fallen behind her friends. I've given her some asprin in the hopes of keeping her out of pain until and when it comes. I'm still trying to hold on to the hope that she'll recover but I know she may be a few weeks or days from dying. I've heard helium or co2 is the best since they simply "go to sleep" and pretty cheap. She loves to roam though and I'd rather let her fall asleep in the yard with her friends for comfort and pass peacefully I was wondering about alcohol along with painkillers? Has anyone ever tried these? I cannot force myself to kill her by chopping her head off I'm just hoping for something peaceful and no vet stress or bills

Last edited:
If you are hoping for something peaceful, there are plenty of gruesome suggestions though out this whole thread. I can tell you through my own experience, that the ones roughest on the human, are the most peaceful on the chicken. This is based on the amount of postmortem struggling done by the bird. If you want a really sterile "you don't see it" death, then let the vet do it. If you want to not feel bad about it, do the same. If you truly love the birds and want a death easy on them, that's a whole different ball of wax.All these "gassing" things are over the top and horrible.

I have been looking through the threads but not much on overdosing. Everyone seems to jump on the axe and stump method. I have found many at home euthanasias of elderly cats and dogs from aspirin as they just fall asleep and pass away relatively quickly. I think it would be easier since there are no needles or restraints involved she simply goes about her day and falls asleep. Since I plan on burying her in the yard it doesn't matter what we give her. I am capable of putting her down when the time comes.I'm now leaning more towards aspirin but haven't heard anyone euthanizing a chicken this way

I have been looking through the threads but not much on overdosing. Everyone seems to jump on the axe and stump method. I have found many at home euthanasias of elderly cats and dogs from aspirin as they just fall asleep and pass away relatively quickly. I think it would be easier since there are no needles or restraints involved she simply goes about her day and falls asleep. Since I plan on burying her in the yard it doesn't matter what we give her. I am capable of putting her down when the time comes.I'm now leaning more towards aspirin but haven't heard anyone euthanizing a chicken this way
WHAT? At home 'euthanasia' from aspirin poisoning? There are people who claim this is quick and peaceful? It destroys the liver, shuts down the kidneys, is a tremendous gastrointestinal irritant, etc. I am thinking the people who are telling you it is quick and peaceful are leaving out the hemorrhaging, vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and abdominal distress.

Back
Top Bottom