DIY HUMANE way to Kill Slaughter Chicken (Stun-kill, Gas)

Sweet Jesus you want to suffocate your chickens? You are so wrapped up in killing them humanely but you want to poison and suffocate them? Dear God!! And as far as stunning the only reason to stun then slit is to help blood drain better. That's the only reason for stunning. And really if you are so poor you HAVE to raise your own chicken meat you better have about 10 acres for rangers or raise about 10,000 cornish and sell most of them because that's the only way you will beat supermarket prices on chicken meat. If you go small scale you will have to sell most of what you raise for about double supermarket price just to cover your expenses don't expect a profit. I've found the best way is to simply lop the head off and let them bleed out. Just use a nice heavy axe with a sharp blade. Good luck.

I cant say it is easy but you seem to be struggling with it so much I think it would be best just to be a vegitarian, and I am not trying to be mean at all I was one for 7 years.

Hello tommy, I am sorry but, I really think you need to let some one else take care of the killing part for you, may be a friend of you for two or three chickens every time, or one of your neighbours.
lol.png
lol.png

I was a little cared the first time, but I said to my self well God created them for us to eat , and Ihave to do this incase of worth times or so, and that's how I done it.
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

Omran

Quote:
The OP probably read (as I did) that CO2 (which is carbon dioxide, the stuff we exhale, not some exotic poison) would knock a bird out quickly (a breath or two, was what I'd read) so you could slaughter it painlessly. It turns out that this may not be accurate, but I'm sure that's what he was talking about.

Not all birds raised and slaughtered for meat are Cornish X. I raise a lot of not-Cornish-X birds myself, have several roos in my freezer, a crock-pot cooked one is in the fridge right now.

I am guessing that the "KFC crap" he referred to, was the video evidence of abuse by slaughter plant workers, where the birds were being kicked, stomped, and abused in a variety of ways.

He's just searching for the most humane method he can find before he does the deed. Just because he's fumbling around a bit while learning, doesn't make him "wrong".

Not everybody takes easily to killing their own meat. That does not mean they can't or won't learn.

I asked a lot of people questions before I worked up the gumption to butcher chickens myself. I read everything I could find. I'm still not very good at it, but I'm determined to get good at it.

That's part of what Tommy's doing, he's asking questions, before he tries the actual deed. Isn't that what people are supposed to do, when they're trying to learn something new?

Quote:
The OP probably read (as I did) that CO2 (which is carbon dioxide, the stuff we exhale, not some exotic poison) would knock a bird out quickly (a breath or two, was what I'd read) so you could slaughter it painlessly. It turns out that this may not be accurate, but I'm sure that's what he was talking about.

Not all birds raised and slaughtered for meat are Cornish X. I raise a lot of not-Cornish-X birds myself, have several roos in my freezer, a crock-pot cooked one is in the fridge right now.

I am guessing that the "KFC crap" he referred to, was the video evidence of abuse by slaughter plant workers, where the birds were being kicked, stomped, and abused in a variety of ways.

He's just searching for the most humane method he can find before he does the deed. Just because he's fumbling around a bit while learning, doesn't make him "wrong".

Not everybody takes easily to killing their own meat. That does not mean they can't or won't learn.

I asked a lot of people questions before I worked up the gumption to butcher chickens myself. I read everything I could find. I'm still not very good at it, but I'm determined to get good at it.

That's part of what Tommy's doing, he's asking questions, before he tries the actual deed. Isn't that what people are supposed to do, when they're trying to learn something new?

Very VERY well said!!!!

If I hadnt been able to ask lots of questions I might never have worked up the courage to kill my own birds. Its HARD for some people to kill anything for any reason. I know my mum would starve to death if she had to kill one of her chickens and if one just up and dies she grieves for weeks.

Compassion and understanding shouldnt just be for the chickens;)

I do hope the OP manages to *do the deed* as nothing in the world compairs to the feeling of satisfaction when you sit down to a meal you have managed from egg to plate:yiipchick

Now don't take this the wrong way as I wasn't refering to you. If your willing to learn how to do it and acept the fact that yes.... something must die and it may hurt a bit than there is hope. I'm sure any of us that have done this before will walk you through a step by step process.... I think Frugal already did.... but if you need someone to talk you through it as your going give me a call and I'm sure I could help you.... my number is on my website. By no means am I being judgemental on people that don't fully understand processing.. I just was a bit thrown off by someone actually sniffing different gases to see if it's the right one to use on a chicken.

Me personally I would rather slit the throat as it works the best in my situation.. no flopping around as they are in a cone... no splatter of blood as it drains into a trough... no broken bones as they are put in a cone.... no risk of chopping your hand off or someone elses.

But for the OP... chopping the head off with the axe is going to be the best option for you as it's painless.... the brain tells the body that something hurts, whithout a head you feel no pain. But again if you can't accept the fact of killing something, your just not cut out to do it. Which is fine.... nothing wrong with that. I can't tell you how many people that would cry, get squimesh, or run from processing any animal for that matter your not alone.

Quote:

Last edited:
I just want to add, oxygen is a gas. Our atmosphere is made up of a number of gases. We breathe them all. I think the word "gas" tends to freak people out because they associate it with natural gas, propane, nerve gas, cyanide gas, etc.

Without gases we'd all suffocate. Tommy was talking about a bunch of pretty benign gases. Not Nazi concentration camp stuff. One or two whiffs of nitrogen, or argon, or CO2, won't do you any damage, as log as you are still able to get oxygen (in normal air) right away, which he was. It isn't nearly as bizarre or extreme as one might imagine.

Quote:
Go with the Nitrous. It's worked for Dentists for years and we used to have errrrrr parties where somebody would bring a container. Not sure if it would completely kill them, but they don't call it laughing gas for nothing. Too much will knock anything out though.

Back
Top Bottom