DIY HUMANE way to Kill Slaughter Chicken (Stun-kill, Gas)

Personally I don't think someone is a sissy or destined for vegetarianism if they want to slaughter their animals in the most humane way possible. And the humaneness of a method should not be based on someone's opinion, but on the physiological responses of the animal (including the perceptions of that animal). There are different physiological responses to, say, CO2 gassing and decapitating, and I'm not talking about reflexive wing flapping. A quick internet search can provide you with actual scientific research on the subject. There is more and more research being done in the realm of animal welfare science, so why not take advantage of it? One of the most wonderful things about working with or owning animals is that they provide you with a limitless opportunity to educate yourself. Don't listen to people who think they know it all, because no one does! (Myself included;))

Quote:
Well said. I hope killing never becomes completely routine for any of us. You must find your own comfort zone and methods that will cause you the LEAST amount of duress. I have not dressed birds in many years, but plan to use cone and slicing. Previously it was the axe. The very moment the bird starts to bleed it should pass out because blood pressure to the brain is stopped. I'm hoping that is how it works out for me.
Will let you know in a few months...

Last edited:
Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

CO2 has been used as a method to stun an animal, but the bird must still be killed by either removing the head or by exsanguination. We prefer to decapitate the bird by using a hatchet or other appropriate device.

Jim

I think we all know the bird will have to be killed. I doubt anybody plans to knock one out and then cook it live.

CO2 does kill the animal, if left in the container for a few minutes after it loses consciousness. Even if you decapitate while it's knocked out but still alive, it would seem to me to be less traumatic.

I've had anesthesia for surgery, and I'm all in favor of not being awake and aware when cutting is done. Of course in this case, the bird is NOT to wake up again.

Those of you who prefer chopping off heads alone, it's been done that way for a long time, and I have no problem with YOU doing that. If I, or anybody else, can find a way that we feel is less traumatic for the birds and for us, I don't see why anybody else should have a problem with US doing that.​

Quote:
Of course the CO2 kills the bird, but you still have to get the blood out of the bird, just like I said in my post. If you don't get the blood out you have runied your bird.

Jim

Why? Wild game arnt bled out so why would it ruin a chicken to not be bled out?​

Quote:
Of course the CO2 kills the bird, but you still have to get the blood out of the bird, just like I said in my post. If you don't get the blood out you have runied your bird.

Jim

Who said you wouldn't bleed out the bird after it was dead or knocked out? Of course you still bleed it out. Are you under the impression that people would knock the bird out, then not cut off the head, not gut it, just put it in the freezer?

Look at it this way. If you were going to be killed by either decapitation, or having your throat cut first, then get decapitated, and there was absolutely no way out of it, would you rather be conscious, or unconscious, when it happens? I know I'd rather be unconscious. I'd just as soon skip the full throat-cut-before-decapitation experience. A slight burning in my throat before passing out cold, and dying in my unconscious state, prior to the throat cutting and head chopping, would be less terrifying, IMO.​

Without first experiencing any situation... can any chicken put one + one together and come up with the correct answer of their demise?

I just can't believe all the controversy about killing a chicken. I understand to do it humanely but bottom line is it's going to die and if you accept that fact early you have half of the battle already done.

Cutting the throat while they are in the cone is easiest and less dangerous to you. Shooting... gasing.... stunning with a wack.... hatchet... all pose a threat to yourself and other around you.

Its just death people. i've talked about this with other BYCers. We give death FAR too much credit. Whether its in people or animals. Maybe I've seen too much of it in my few years, but I just cant give it much emotion or care. Its inevitable for all things.

Most of the chickens on this board live better lives than have the global human population. Warm coops, lots of feed, clean water, lots of love and health care... Giving a creature life, and a good life at that, for the purpose of killing it later is not a shameful or sad thing.

Chicken's dont have dreadful fear of death. They have instinct to preserve their existence, but they dont lament over the thought of being slaughtered. Thats a human condition we impose on them, and its not fitting. And it certainly isnt healthy for the human who walks away from it feeling guilty and sickened because they feel the animal suffered.

However you kill the animal just do it and get it over with. I wouldnt want to gas it personally- ive tried that before and it didnt work, and if I was going to eat an animal I wouldnt want it to have strangled for lack of oxygen- even though it is a peaceful death, that CO2 has to go some where in the body, probably into the muscles that I later eat.

If God hadn't intended for us to eat animals he wouldnt have told us to in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom