DIY HUMANE way to Kill Slaughter Chicken (Stun-kill, Gas)

Quote:
Thanks, I got the idea from an animal rescue program. I reasoned if it worked for swans and hawks and the like, it should work on my turkeys too. They didnt even tense up when lifted, just lay in my arms dozing away till the end
wee.gif

(and being a woose I hate seeing their eyes close half way like they do, it makes me sad
sad.png
its bad enough having to kill my pets without making it even worse
roll.png
)

Must admit, I wish we had chickens right now so I could try the wing turn thing, sounds like fun
gig.gif

It has been seen time and again that the village idiot invariably shoots themselves in the foot. I'm no Superman and don't have X- ray vision , but, Can anyone know for sure that there is NO rock just below the surface of the soil that will cause the very sneaky Rick O' Shea to jump out and cause bodily harm to someone ???

I have only killed two of ours so far. Both were done hung upside down after gently swinging them into a sleepy trance. The first one was a roo of a neighbors that had become a problem attacking people, and they said that we could kill him if we could catch him. Catching him was not a problem as we had nothing but hens then and he did not have a flock.

The second one was a roo of ours, we had bought 5 BR and only one was to be a roo. Turned out we had two and one had to go, he was taken care of using the same method.

I used a plank with a chain that hung from the top, zip ties were placed around the ankles and one zip tie connected the legs to the chain. String was lightly wrapped around the upper chest, and I used a 7lb cleaver to remove the head.

The first roo went well flapped around but not violently, the second was just the opposite. They only difference between the two was that the first roo had been separated from the rest for about three weeks while I built the plank and researched on what methods to use, the second had only been separated for three days. We have made up our mind that all future birds will be seperated for around two weeks, and the swinging method really helps. We are also going to use cones as well.

It is important to not have a stressed out bird at the time of processing because of the chemicals that the body releases will be trapped into the meet. At the same time you really want to get as much of the blood out as possible for health reasons that we have yet to fully research.

I am all for humane methods and want my birds to not be stressed out because of the process, but it also has to be a method that is healthy for us as well.

Quote:
Then don't let the village idiot have a gun. Leave the rest of us in peace.

A rock under the surface of the soil, just lurking there, waiting to cause a disaster, just in exactly the right spot?

Good grief.

You can always find a potential catastrophe in anything. It's pretty easy to invent worst-case scenarios for just about anything.

Don't eat solid food, you might choke! Don't drink ordinary liquids, you could aspirate them! Don't walk, you could trip and fall down and get hurt or even die!

OMG, don't use showers, you can't absolutely guarantee that you won't slip and fall and bash your brains out! Bathtubs are just as bad! Better hose off outside instead!!! Or maybe hire a professional to bathe you, after all, how could such a dangerous thing be left up to AMATEURS?!

OMG, don't ride in a car, don't drive a car, you can't absolutely predict what might happen, you could be in an accident! You could cause an accident! better stay home in a padded box!

OMG, don't stay home, most dangerous accidents occur in and around the home!!!!!! AAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!THERE'S NO PLACE ON THE WHOLE PLANET THAT COMPLETELY RISK FREE!!!!! THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN DO THAT'S ABSOLUTELY COMPLETELY SAFE AT ALL TIMES AND UNDER ALL CIRCUMSTANCES!!!!

Good grief. This is why we live in a society that has directions on packages of socks and toothpicks.

Quote:

A rock under the surface of the soil, just lurking there, waiting to cause a disaster, just in exactly the right spot?

Good grief.

You can always find a potential catastrophe in anything. It's pretty easy to invent worst-case scenarios for just about anything.

Don't eat solid food, you might choke! Don't drink ordinary liquids, you could aspirate them! Don't walk, you could trip and fall down and get hurt or even die!

OMG, don't use showers, you can't absolutely guarantee that you won't slip and fall and bash your brains out! Bathtubs are just as bad! Better hose off outside instead!!! Or maybe hire a professional to bathe you, after all, how could such a dangerous thing be left up to AMATEURS?!

OMG, don't ride in a car, don't drive a car, you can't absolutely predict what might happen, you could be in an accident! You could cause an accident! better stay home in a padded box!

OMG, don't stay home, most dangerous accidents occur in and around the home!!!!!! AAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!THERE'S NO PLACE ON THE WHOLE PLANET THAT COMPLETELY RISK FREE!!!!! THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN DO THAT'S ABSOLUTELY COMPLETELY SAFE AT ALL TIMES AND UNDER ALL CIRCUMSTANCES!!!!

Good grief. This is why we live in a society that has directions on packages of socks and toothpicks.

Oh dear, oh dear. Do I detect cynicism and common sense, together? Oh, that'll never do....

I still wish I had one of those electro shock thingies.

Blood is bad to eat? For health reasons? Better stop ordering my steaks medium rare then.........
tongue.png

Blood isn't bad, folks, it actually helps flavor the meat....would anyone want a bloodless, pale steak on the grill? All this soaking chicken in brine water to leach out the blood, etc. makes for a pretty tasteless bird. Whatever properties that are contained in blood are already in your meat and they cannot be separated.

Just another one of those things......
roll.png
Letting a bird bleed for a few minutes just makes for a less messy processing..no more, no less.

Quote:

Good grief.

Oh dear, oh dear. Do I detect cynicism and common sense, together? Oh, that'll never do....

Cynacism AND commen sense??? Oh, dear.

Quote:

Cynacism AND commen sense??? Oh, dear.

Oh dear, indeed... {{{wrings hands and looks around}}}

Quote:
I did ask several pages back about the blood thing. Being a fan of blood pudding and the like I didnt mind too much that I got the bleed out wrong on my first 3 birds as the only one that mattered was the family Christmas turkey that, I kid you not, I wasnt allowed to talk about in case it put any body off.

Like happy birds were something to hide
barnie.gif

I too wanted an electro stunner untill I found the price
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom