DIY HUMANE way to Kill Slaughter Chicken (Stun-kill, Gas)

You'd probably be surprised to find out how many people do that exact thing!

I met a lady last year that was letting her flock dwindle "naturally" by predation, old age and sickness. In other words, she just throws out some feed and wishes them "Good Luck!" She felt that was the most "humane" way of letting her flock die off. I asked her why she didn't just sell them and she said she couldn't bear the thought of them possibly not going to a good home!
roll.png
lol.png

I tried to buy a rooster off of e bay and made the mistake of telling what I wanted it for
roll.png
and the seller replied - NO, you cant EAT Mr. Fluffy Bottom!!!

I'm quite looking forward to picking up some roosters this week, although processing them in the garage might be a bit messy lol

We were told that cutting the arteries in the neck to let them bleed out is as fast as cutting the head off, but it leads to a better tasting meat. It has something to do with bleeding out vs. asphyxiation. The advice came from an organic farmer we know who processes hundreds of birds each year.

Has anyone here noticed this?

I personally feel that cutting the heads off is the most humane way because it's the fastest. I tried wringing necks only to think they were dead and then they got up, shook it off, and walked away. That really bothered me because I knew they had suffered some pain. Obviously my two hands aren't strong enough for the job, and I also have trouble using an axe/chopping block by myself. The best method I've found is Jaku's killing cone and a sharp chef's knife. In the position of the cone, the bird can't flop around and I can cleanly cut the head off with the knife.

Sooner or later, I'm going to have to put one of my hens down. Right now she's looking/acting fine; however, she's laying inside herself, I'm about 98% sure. When it first looks like she's having a serious problem and is in pain, I'm going to use the ether/starter fluid method. I will bury her deep in the garden.

I have a stun gun that I use for this purpose.

I have the chicken stand on a grounded table, and all you have to do is place the anode and cathode on the back of its head and press the button. The chicken goes limp and falls in its spot. Then I hang it up and slit the artery. If the shock dose not kill it on spot, its totally knocks it unconscious for a while. Im not sure beacuse all the birds that Ive done this too have been slit right after.

~Bryan

GBov, you should be able to butcher in your garage without making a mess, I know some folks who have even butchered in their kitchen. I think the part that makes the biggest mess is when the birds flip & flap while they're still bleeding out. But if you have them in a cone or otherwise bind their wings with duct tape or something, you can hold them steady so they bleed out neatly in one small area. I hang mine over a lined garbage can and it all goes in there. The next messiest part is the plucking, though if you're careful you should be able to get almost all of the feathers into the garbage can. The cutting & cleaning is not much messier than preparing a store-bought bird.

Joe, when I have to put a laying friend down due to some ailment or injury, I use the broomstick-yank method. It's not as gory as the chop or slit, seems a bit more dignified for a feathered friend not invited to dinner. I hold a broomstick or length of PVC against the ground with my feet, hold the bird by the legs and put the neck under the stick. I push down firmly with my feet, pull up firmly on the legs until I feel the neck break with a decisive crunch. To be certain, sometimes I'll rotate the body 360 degrees. It is sad, because although you know the bird is dead instantly with a broken neck, she will still flap around for a few minutes. I have to cover the bird with a feed sack & walk away until she stays still. Then I bury her deep under a favorite tree or bush.

Sometimes it helps to have an agreement with another chicken keeper in your area, that you'll humanely dispatch each other's feathered friends whenever necessary. It's easier to concentrate on doing a quick & humane job when you're not emotionally attatched to the bird.

I made the mistake of butchering a roo in the kitchen once....

The kitchen looked like a CSI crime scene, and I looked like Dexter Morgan. Never again! Outdoors only. Then I can bring them in after, to finish processing.

Quote:
lau.gif

I can just imagine:gig

Sunny Side Up, I use to pluck my turkeys in the living room till my Hubby caught me at it one day and had a fit
roll.png
I would pluck into a plastic bag while watching TV and just turn the vacuum on every now and then to get the fluff off the floor. It worked a treat but I have already been told "Dont you DARE clean any chickens inside this time!!!!!" So its in the garage I go. Have to say, I am soooooo looking forward to some proper chef's perks, fresh liver rolled in seasoned flour and fried crisp in bacon fat
droolin.gif

Thanks for saying that about the blood, I wasnt sure if the headless one would spray a bit, even confined, so I was a bit worried about the cleanup.

Do any of you do anything with the blood? I know each chicken doesnt have much but does it have any use in the kitchen?

Inquiring minds want to know;)

Oh, have to say the kids are looking forward to the chicken murder to come, I had to look away when I processed my first turkey when they were examining the head to see how the eyes worked and how far the tongue would stretch but such curiosity is so much healthier than the sis in law's "OH GOD, How can you EAT an animal you KNOW?!?"

I'm new to this board,and have recently purchased hens, for laying.
As a youngster, I was raised around the slaughter of animals, for the purpose of food.
I have also raised rabbits, for meat, and admittedly, killing the cute little creatures, is not a pleasant task.
Once I actually get a serious chicken yard established, I've considered buying rooster culls, just for the purpose of meat.
All that being said, and reading the OP, [I know. It's an old thread.] it is amazing, how far removed we, as a society, have become removed, from the cycle of life.
Honestly, anyone who would go through that much handwringing, over slaughtering an animal, for the sake of food, should probably stay away from it.
Now, a little tongue in cheek humor, from my sick mind.
Maybe you could get a sewing machine, and make a little mid-18th century French dress, for the chicken. Tell it that it gets to play Marie Antoinette, for a day... When it starts screaming,"Let them eat cake." you say, " Sorry, but chicken is not nearly as fattening.", as you place its little head on the chopping block.

Back
Top Bottom