DIY HUMANE way to Kill Slaughter Chicken (Stun-kill, Gas)

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
And and
welcome-byc.gif

I can't believe this thread still lives....it is a bit like the Star Trek and Rockie movies. They just don't die.

yuckyuck.gif
Royd, well put and welcome. It is always nice to see somebody who is not so emotionally involved with his chickens.. You will see what I mean after you read some of these threads..

this thread is like "Tremors"..
You never know when it will raise it's ugly head....
lau.gif

.........jiminwisc........

Last edited:
Quote:
At 15 yr. of age, we had goats, for meat and milk. Well, we had two, beautiful, twin billies. One was a chocolate brown and the other was blonde. These guys could have been show animals. They were just studs, to say the least. Anyway, Dad, being a busy man, neglected the castration, until they were nearly a year old. I had to hold their heads down and sit on them and Dad removed their manhood, with them screaming bloody murder, the whole time.... Needless to say, they were not feelining well, for about a week. A couple of months later, they became food.

I have heard when they flop around it will bruise the meat so I have heard of people basically pinching off the airways, making them calm and kind of knocked out before, cutting neck to bleed out so they do not flop and bruise meat.

Anyone?
Thanks,
Angela

Quote:
Live long and Prosper! The thread, that is, not the chickens. They will be ending their journey in 3 weeks.

As far as cutting off the airway goes, we were told by a friend who has been raising meaties for years that suffocating the birds also affects the flavor of the meat. The best method is using a killing cone to restrain the bird and cutting the arteries to let is bleed out. But again he has to have market-ready birds. If you don't mind some bruised meat yourself, the chopping block works well.

Quote:
Live long and Prosper! The thread, that is, not the chickens. They will be ending their journey in 3 weeks.

As far as cutting off the airway goes, we were told by a friend who has been raising meaties for years that suffocating the birds also affects the flavor of the meat. The best method is using a killing cone to restrain the bird and cutting the arteries to let is bleed out. But again he has to have market-ready birds. If you don't mind some bruised meat yourself, the chopping block works well.

Tie the legs before chopping and then immediately, before the death throws start put them in a 5 gallon bucket. The bucket contains the flopping.

I killed 2 guineas so far (a couple days ago), by the chopping the head off method, and I didn't like it since the head still looked alive for a few seconds afterwards. Then I read about it on-line for hours, and this about the guillotine:
The following report was written by a Dr. Beaurieux, who experimented with the head of a condemned prisoner by the name of Henri Languille, on 28 June 1905:

Here, then, is what I was able to note immediately after the decapitation: the eyelids and lips of the guillotined man worked in irregularly rhythmic contractions for about five or six seconds. This phenomenon has been remarked by all those finding themselves in the same conditions as myself for observing what happens after the severing of the neck …

I waited for several seconds. The spasmodic movements ceased. […] It was then that I called in a strong, sharp voice: "Languille!" I saw the eyelids slowly lift up, without any spasmodic contractions – I insist advisedly on this peculiarity – but with an even movement, quite distinct and normal, such as happens in everyday life, with people awakened or torn from their thoughts.

Next Languille's eyes very definitely fixed themselves on mine and the pupils focused themselves. I was not, then, dealing with the sort of vague dull look without any expression, that can be observed any day in dying people to whom one speaks: I was dealing with undeniably living eyes which were looking at me. After several seconds, the eyelids closed again […].

It was at that point that I called out again and, once more, without any spasm, slowly, the eyelids lifted and undeniably living eyes fixed themselves on mine with perhaps even more penetration than the first time. Then there was a further closing of the eyelids, but now less complete. I attempted the effect of a third call; there was no further movement – and the eyes took on the glazed look which they have in the dead.[18]

So now, after several more hours of reading, I've decided my next kill will be only after knocking the bird out with a board or something, or a baseball bat. Then I'll cut its head off quickly after it's unconscious. I've never been knocked unconscious before myself, but read this and it doesn't sound so bad based on human experiences with it:
http://gutrumbles.com/archives2/002356.php

Also I will attempt to hit the head without the chicken knowing it's about to happen, since chickens are intelligent and do experience fear.
http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/2005/1415178.htm

I love my chickens and will hold them gently and talk to them quietly, maybe even putting a baby-sock over their head like some have suggested so they won't anticipate what's about to happen, and then knock them unconscious and quickly cut off the head after that. I'll keep everyone posted after I try it. My husband and kids love meat, but I refuse to buy any chicken meat at the store or restaurants since those birds have awful lives. My birds are completely free range and live happy lives. So I have no problem at all with killing them (I don't hesitate or cry about it), but I just wanted to find the most humane way to do it.

Also I will attempt to hit the head without the chicken knowing it's about to happen, since chickens are intelligent and do experience fear.

I'm sorry....I don't mean to sound mean here but...can I watch? I'd give a fiver to see this because the mental image is making me laugh pretty hard!
lol.png
lau.gif
gig.gif
Just...just......LOLOLOL......ROFLMBO.....
lau.gif
...it's just the
gig.gif
..... picture of these chickens with little socks on their heads getting petted and loved on and then......
lau.gif
gig.gif
lol.png
.....OH, My ribs are killin' me!.......then...WHAM! A baseball bat to the head.....
lau.gif

Whew! >wipes tears from eyes< MAN, did I need that!
tongue.png

Sorry.....
hide.gif
It just struck me as funny.....
smile.png

Sure! It does sound like it would be funny to watch. If it works out, I'll have my husband video-tape it later. I'll have to think twice about the baseball bat idea though, since I read a news-story about a lady who was put in jail or something for hitting a peacock with a baseball bat (animal cruelty). Probably hard to explain to the "authorities" that it might be the most humane way. I guess we'll never really know though unless we come back as a chicken in a future life (several times) and die several different ways to find out which is best.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom