DIY HUMANE way to Kill Slaughter Chicken (Stun-kill, Gas)

I don't enjoy it or find it funny, but sometimes joking is the easiest way to deal with something so difficult.

I agree! I am a hospice nurse. The other day I was orienting another nurse to the job and we stopped at a yard sale along our way. I purchased a scythe. As I was carrying it out to the truck, it occured to me that this is probably not the best thing to carry in your vehicle on hospice visits. I mentioned this to the other nurse and yard salers and we all had a good laugh about it....but not in a mean way at all. It's just better to laugh sometimes than cry, in the face of the inevitable.
smile.png

Tinybirds & anyone else, I'm sorry if I caused offense by taking offense at anything you wrote not meaning offense. It sounds like you're already doing a great job dispatching your guineas humanely. And videotaping the procedure in order to inform & educate others is really helpful. I learned the most by watching a few such videos on YouTube, and wish I could get someone to document what we do at our place.

Chicks & Turks :

Wouldn't gassing the bird make it bad to eat? Or am I not understanding it?

There is CO2 in the air we breath all the time, so it isn't poison at all, but the idea here is that the CO2 displaces the oxygen in a container, so the animal can "breathe," it just doesn't get any oxygen when it does, so it dies. I don't think its a good method, but it won't hurt the meat.​

Quote:
I agree! I am a hospice nurse. The other day I was orienting another nurse to the job and we stopped at a yard sale along our way. I purchased a scythe. As I was carrying it out to the truck, it occured to me that this is probably not the best thing to carry in your vehicle on hospice visits. I mentioned this to the other nurse and yard salers and we all had a good laugh about it....but not in a mean way at all. It's just better to laugh sometimes than cry, in the face of the inevitable.
smile.png

Exactly- I'm a cop, and people would be HORRIFIED if they heard the way every cop, EMT, and firefighter talked about some of the worst situations people have been in. You'd kill yourself in a month if you internalized all of the bad things you see daily, and I'm sure it's exactly the same as a hospice nurse.

I worked in hospitals and clinical labs for many years. Humor, especially about death and other difficult subjects, is the way medical personnel keep from going nuts, or jumping off a bridge at the end of the shift. It's just a way of dealing with what you see and experience.

Last edited:
I'm sorry if this has been covered, but this thread is huge!
smile.png

Why would you exsanguinate a chicken instead of completely beheading it? In the latter case, I assume the heart stops beating sooner, so does that mean it doesn't fully drain the blood, or just that the draining process takes longer?

Also, I've read that a chicken put upside down in a killing cone is pretty calm. Does being upside down stupify them, or are them calm just because they're confined and can't flap around?

I agree that this is huge & I couldn't read it anymore ether. When you hold a bird upside down they usually chill out & the cone keeps them from flopping around. If you cut the neck not the throat the heart will help bleed the bird out.

But, as blood adds flavor, I prefer to take the head off with a pair of long handled loppers. That way the excess blood drains away but enough remains to flavor the meat most delightfully
droolin.gif
I think tis been too long since we had buttermilk soaked oven fried chicken
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom