DIY HUMANE way to Kill Slaughter Chicken (Stun-kill, Gas)

I tried cutting the head off of a beet once. Never again. That dang thing never did bleed out all the way. What a mess. Ever since I have "harvested" them young and gas them. 400 degrees. Kills the babies really quick, especially with a bit of olive oil and salt

:lau

I had to send a bunch of carrots to "freezer camp" just last week, now that I think of it.

Last edited:
Sorry we offended you, Clay. Here's a great big man-hug for you:
hugs.gif

OK, the last few pages I've read have been pretty funny, and I almost hate to ask a serious question. I hate beets with a passion and was hoping to hear horror stories of botched beet processing where the things had to suffer but...
I process mine by taping their wings and tying feet and hanging them, then either off their head with pruning shears or slit with a knife. I was wondering if a taser gun would work to stun them real quick before I do the actual cutting? If not no biggie, just thought I'd ask. Especially since I am considering doing ducks or possibly a goose this fall, and they have such big necks and thick feathers I'd like them to be out cold if possible before I proceed. I'm awfully clumsy, and do not want to use the stump and hatchet method. I'm not strong enough to break their necks, although maybe with the broomstick method. I tried the breaking neck thing with the first rooster I did. Thought he was dead, set him down, and a minute later he was up and running. I felt so awful.

OK, the last few pages I've read have been pretty funny, and I almost hate to ask a serious question. I hate beets with a passion and was hoping to hear horror stories of botched beet processing where the things had to suffer but...
I process mine by taping their wings and tying feet and hanging them, then either off their head with pruning shears or slit with a knife. I was wondering if a taser gun would work to stun them real quick before I do the actual cutting? If not no biggie, just thought I'd ask. Especially since I am considering doing ducks or possibly a goose this fall, and they have such big necks and thick feathers I'd like them to be out cold if possible before I proceed. I'm awfully clumsy, and do not want to use the stump and hatchet method. I'm not strong enough to break their necks, although maybe with the broomstick method. I tried the breaking neck thing with the first rooster I did. Thought he was dead, set him down, and a minute later he was up and running. I felt so awful.

How do you get the wings on a beet taped?

OOOH A CHICKEN! :oops:

I don't know if that dude would jump up yelling "DON'T TASER ME BRO" or not (Sorry, I'm just still in silly mode I guess), but I'd try the pruning shears if I were you. I personally still stick them in a kill cone and slit the throat, but theres a lot more margin for error with that. A couple didn't die too pretty while I got the technique down.

Last edited:
How do you get the wings on a beet taped?
OOOH A CHICKEN!
hide.gif

I don't know if that dude would jump up yelling "DON'T TASER ME BRO" or not (Sorry, I'm just still in silly mode I guess), but I'd try the pruning shears if I were you. I personally still stick them in a kill cone and slit the throat, but theres a lot more margin for error with that. A couple didn't die too pretty while I got the technique down.

But what about ducks/geese? I don't think they'd fit in a cone, and their necks are big enough I'm not sure I'm strong enough to snip with the pruning shears fast. I slit chickens throats but I'm afraid with the thick feathers on ducks I'll cut through feathers and not deep enough into the neck. I was hoping if I tased them it might knock them out for a minute or 2 and give me a little more time to get their head off before they come to.
As far as the beets, I torture them. I throw them in alive to my flock and let them dismember them, piece by piece.
lol.png
You should see what they do to a cabbage...

A standard duck will fit into a cone and, since they have cones that will hold a turkey, I'd say the geese will also. A sharp knife and tension on the skin will cut through most anything, even a larger animal's throat. I personally wouldn't use nippers on a live animal(unless very tiny), as the angle of the cutting creates pressure before cutting and seems to just squeeze closed as opposed to the sudden, rapid chop of an axe or the slice of a sharp knife across the membranes.

I do, however, use the pruners to sever the head after death.

A standard duck will fit into a cone and, since they have cones that will hold a turkey, I'd say the geese will also. A sharp knife and tension on the skin will cut through most anything, even a larger animal's throat. I personally wouldn't use nippers on a live animal(unless very tiny), as the angle of the cutting creates pressure before cutting and seems to just squeeze closed as opposed to the sudden, rapid chop of an axe or the slice of a sharp knife across the membranes.

I do, however, use the pruners to sever the head after death.

I'll just be on the lookout for something to use for a big cone then. The skin right beneath the head where you cut is generally pretty low in feathers anyway isn't it? Guess I need to go look closer at my ducks. Or find a processor, really not looking forward to the whole plucking part. But I prefer to kill them myself, that way I know for sure they were treated as kindly and humanely right to the very end. I don't trust someone else to give them the same respect I do, and feel like I owe it to them to be killed by someone who cared about them.

Back
Top Bottom