DIY HUMANE way to Kill Slaughter Chicken (Stun-kill, Gas)

Oh no you didn't!

You cooked them to their deaths!
lol.png

I tried cutting the head off of a beet once. Never again. That dang thing never did bleed out all the way. What a mess. Ever since I have "harvested" them young and gas them. 400 degrees. Kills the babies really quick, especially with a bit of olive oil and salt

The humans that I know who have been tazared or hit with stun gun tell me that it is extremely unpleasant. The guy with the tazar said it hurt like the dickens.

It might immobilize the bird, but it certainly would not be humane.

Many cops would say that too, painful at times!
That's why I was asking first. I tested it on myself, and it kind of hurts, feels more odd. It's just a little handheld one, not a big one. I was just wondering if the current would be enough to stun them for a minute, just to give me a little bit of extra time they won't feel anything in case I can't get it right the first time. My ducks just seem like they'll have thicker skin and everything than chickens, and I don't want them conscious I mess up.

Last edited:
A buddy of mine used to work in a commercial poultry processing plant years ago and said, back then, they would have the chickens all standing in shallow water and run electricity through it in order to stun/kill them before hanging them up for further processing.

Sounds brutal to me to be "stunned" by electricity, particularly on such a small creature.

Yeah, personally, I try to move calmly as I'm preparing and catching and just move swiftly and smoothly. It reduces stress on the chickens.

There is no really "nice" way to go through the process of dying. Not even animals (including humans) dying natural deaths usually get the idyllic "passing in their sleep" kind of peace we'd all like.

Personally, I've watched a lot of deaths, both animal and human, and frankly, I'd want a nice person to cut my head off.

Last edited:
Yeah, personally, I try to move calmly as I'm preparing and catching and just move swiftly and smoothly. It reduces stress on the chickens.

There is no really "nice" way to go through the process of dying. Not even animals (including humans) dying natural deaths usually get the idyllic "passing in their sleep" kind of peace we'd all like.

Personally, I've watched a lot of deaths, both animal and human, and frankly, I'd want a nice person to cut my head off.

I do this as well. Chickens are caught calmly and quietly off the roost the night before, trussed gently and get to lay in the deep bedding right in the coop with the rest of the flock. In the early morning, after the rest of the flock have vacated the coop to free range, those slated to die are gathered and dispatched with calm and quick efficiency. Any death is an ugly thing, but the manner and method go a long way toward making it more peaceful for all concerned. Even the one doing the deed.

I think that is another reason I prefer slitting the throats while the bird is cradled in a killing cone...no fast or violent motion involved, no sudden movements at all. Just a small and deliberate slice and the death. When there are many to kill, getting in the zone is easier when you have a sort of rhythm, little wasted motion and a quick process.

I agree. Calm and quiet. I hold each one, stroking it's ears and telling it how thankful I am for it's sacrifice. It goes in the cone, and I wait for it to calm down, though it's already calm when it goes in. Naturally if I were doing a lot at once, I wouldn't spend as long as I do with that part now, but I'd still make sure they were calm first.

I've watched people and animals die too, sometimes in my arms. Must agree, death is just not pretty. It's not. There's nothing you can do to make it pretty. You can only make it as quick and calm as you're able.

I would try hanging them by the foot on a string suspended off the ground if they dont fit in the cone, same principle as a kill cone if youre not comfortable with the hatchet/stump.... id hang it pretty low off the ground though as you could potentially have a mess on your hands.

Back
Top Bottom