DIY HUMANE way to Kill Slaughter Chicken (Stun-kill, Gas)

I watched the video and I can honestly say that his birds take much longer to die than mine do.  I don't agree with not cutting the trachea to supposedly make the bird bleed out more.  My birds bleed out just as much as do the ones in the video, just more rapidly, it seems.  Did you see how long some of those birds were still flopping and twitching?  Mine don't last that long.

I also don't cut as high into the neck as they do...my cut is closer to the head where there are even less feathers.  My knives aren't razor sharp but I cut just as easily as the guy in the video.  Quick slice like cutting into a raw steak.  Here's a pic of where I start my cut:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/image/view/id/4520581/album/6131817

My cut is where your picture shows as well. I have to agree, mine don't flop like that either. Just trying to show the where and how but your picture is a lot better! In any event, a quick sure cut that is deep enough to make sure they bleed fast is the way, trachea or not, doesn't seem to be worth it to "make sure you dont' cut the trachea." In my experience trying to be careful of that only makes a person nervous enough not to cut them properly the first time.

Research the Halal way. From what I've heard, it's a very humane way. Kosher as well.

They have a thread about that on the backyardherds forum, it was pretty interesting. I might just look into that more, maybe I can find a kosher processor to take my birds too. Then I have more peace of mind about them being treated humanely, and I get out of plucking.

Hey tlordon!

Even though you’ve definitely gotten A LOT of responses on your post I figured I’d add my two cents since I just butchered by first chicken…ever.

I used the cone method…it went flawlessly…I’d ordered scalpels online from Amazon.com since I was having panic attacks that the poor thing would suffer needlessly and/or my knife wouldn’t be sharp enough…I cant even express how glad I am I did this…they were about $5 for a pack of ten and are going to be the only thing I EVER use.

The chicken was as calm as can be expected while I was putting it in the cone (I will say I held it for awhile prior, saying my own little prayers of thanks in calming tones until it calmed down and seemed quite relaxed) and when cutting the arteries with the scalpel it didn’t even flinch and passed out within a few seconds. I did walk away while it was draining because it does go into death throws but only after it’s expired…it’s like the final firing of nerves and something the chicken isn’t aware of (even if you cut off it’s head it one quick blow the body will move around for awhile).

I hadnt gotten overly attached to my meat chickens but nevertheless I am an overly sentimental person who was terrified of the nightmares I’d have from killing my own, watching them die, etc. but in my view, if you are going to live a lifestyle wherein you eat meat, you have to face the consequences of taking that animal’s life…and just respect it for it’s sacrifice.

No method is going to be entirely without trauma…you’re killing an animal, taking it’s life away and death is something that never comes easy regardless of who’s doing the dying but if I was to recommend a method after countless hours of research…the cone method is the most humane method out there (think of it this way…when you cut yourself with a sharp knife you don’t get immediate pain…instead, it really only hurts after you see blood and your mind comprehends what’s happened…in the chickens case, if it even has the capability of comprehending, it passes out long before any pain could register…in my opinion of course).

Good luck!

Courtney

Hey tlordon!

Even though you’ve definitely gotten A LOT of responses on your post I figured I’d add my two cents since I just butchered by first chicken…ever.

I used the cone method…it went flawlessly…I’d ordered scalpels online from Amazon.com since I was having panic attacks that the poor thing would suffer needlessly and/or my knife wouldn’t be sharp enough…I cant even express how glad I am I did this…they were about $5 for a pack of ten and are going to be the only thing I EVER use.

The chicken was as calm as can be expected while I was putting it in the cone (I will say I held it for awhile prior, saying my own little prayers of thanks in calming tones until it calmed down and seemed quite relaxed) and when cutting the arteries with the scalpel it didn’t even flinch and passed out within a few seconds. I did walk away while it was draining because it does go into death throws but only after it’s expired…it’s like the final firing of nerves and something the chicken isn’t aware of (even if you cut off it’s head it one quick blow the body will move around for awhile).  

I hadnt gotten overly attached to my meat chickens but nevertheless I am an overly sentimental person who was terrified of the nightmares I’d have from killing my own, watching them die, etc. but in my view, if you are going to live a lifestyle wherein you eat meat, you have to face the consequences of taking that animal’s life…and just respect it for it’s sacrifice.

No method is going to be entirely without trauma…you’re killing an animal, taking it’s life away and death is something that never comes easy regardless of who’s doing the dying but if I was to recommend a method after countless hours of research…the cone method is the most humane method out there (think of it this way…when you cut yourself with a sharp knife you don’t get immediate pain…instead, it really only hurts after you see blood and your mind comprehends what’s happened…in the chickens case, if it even has the capability of comprehending, it passes out long before any pain could register…in my opinion of course).

Good luck!

Courtney

:thumbsup Good job.

tlordon

You know I have had to kill cull destroy take the life or how ever you like to say it I had the same thing as you as to how to I saw when I was 14 a guy had a piece of wood and a nail bent he put the chickens head so it was the neck caught in the nail part he stretched the neck and with a ax chopped the head of. I pleaeded for the chickens life but he said they would not eat if he didn't do this. As I recall the body ran around.

So I tried to but not ever doing this I was unsure I didn't want to cuase it to suffer.

Later Ihad killed rabbits when I was in NC and thought death of these really don't prepare you to kill anything else.

This is what I thought people bare with me and it may get graphic don't go on if it gets to much for you

I thought of a bb gun but where to shot the chicken in the head or chest (heart) so I didn't think this was so good so then I thought of the chicken and the nail but didn't have a ax so now I thought of a hammer GOD I thought how much pain there was, this was not good so then I thought of a knife but not ever doing this what if I don't get it on the forst time and it gets yelling OH GOODNESS then I be traumatized so then I thought of a 22 cal but then to blow it's head off I couodn't seem to do this deed with out fully knowing how to I was in a delema

OH so now with my husband I found it is a two man job my husband has the knife and I how the body and he slices the head off the body is let go and it jumps all over the place I can't hold on to it.

My husband said to twirl it around and snap it like a knife and the head woud be in his hand ewwww I don't like that then the slit throat he said it goes easy but think if you were slit and you know what is going on and yes I think they know what is going on when you slit the thoat.

I want my animals to have about as less pain as they can and not to suffer any if I can help it I have found to do the two man is best for us the head is off and the chicken is dead the eyes are closed oddly I have seen many animals dead and the bird is the only one I know that the eyes close you don't have to close them.

I hope in some way I may of helped you decide in some way.

Rhayden

Back
Top Bottom