DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

Excellent ideas.... last time I tried to brood in the house I had em on a plastic card table and the floor Still looked like yours.... Only mine was much much much messier....

Now that I no longer have cats I am going to do this out in my green house room... It is open to the outside with only a chainlink separator to keep large critters out..... Hmmm I have water out there and power too.... Gawd .... thank you for giving me a "danger Will Robinson" idea...

deb
The think I'd worry about in a setup like that with tiny chicks is that rats and snakes can still get to them through the chain link. (I'm guessing that the little ones wouldn't be able to get to the chain link and go out of it.)

Yes this in inside our house so pests aren't a worry. Our small dog is sad they she can no longer see them.

you guys are all insane I just got on this website and all of these amazing designs are going to help me so much the redneck contraptions that are getting thrown together but works so well thank you everyone
Wow I missed your post.... Welcome to BYC
welcome-byc.gif
from the San Diego High desert.... my bit of heaven....

deb

Quote:
Excellent ideas.... last time I tried to brood in the house I had em on a plastic card table and the floor Still looked like yours.... Only mine was much much much messier....

Now that I no longer have cats I am going to do this out in my green house room... It is open to the outside with only a chainlink separator to keep large critters out..... Hmmm I have water out there and power too.... Gawd .... thank you for giving me a "danger Will Robinson" idea...

deb
The think I'd worry about in a setup like that with tiny chicks is that rats and snakes can still get to them through the chain link. (I'm guessing that the little ones wouldn't be able to get to the chain link and go out of it.)
No worries.... Never had a snake in there because of a knee wall (cinder block wall about Knee hight) that forms the wall foundations.... but Birds do come and go and there is nothing to keep a raccoon from climbing the chainlink and squeezing over the top.... I have Aviary wire which has good mesh. its 12.5 gauge and the spacing on it is 1/2 x 3 inches.... I can assemble one of my avairys and use that as a brooder. 6' x 6' x 4' wide with a human door.

deb

Last edited:
I use crates for some of my lighter birds. The problem I found with some of the larger, lard-butt girls is that they jump on the edge of the crate & tip it over.
big_smile.png

I drill 2 little holes in the back of mine & zip tie them to the wire/chain link.............I don't know what your set up is but I do know that you are well acquainted with zip ties.........LOL

I drill 2 little holes in the back of mine & zip tie them to the wire/chain link.............I don't know what your set up is but I do know that you are well acquainted with zip ties.........LOL

You know it! Zip ties, duct tape & baling twine are my go-to. :). - used to be baling wire, but alas, no more :(

The two crates that get tipped over are the Lav Orps & the Coros. I have the boxes put inside those little wood coops. I will probably put some cuphooks into the wall to secure them.

Back
Top Bottom