DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

[COLOR=333333]Last winter was unusually cold for my area, with days turning to weeks of temperatures way below freezing.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]My schedule allowed me to gather my eggs twice a day, 8am and 8pm.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]For weeks I had cracked frozen eggs. Literally dozens of eggs were deemed unfit for human consumption, and fed back the the birds.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]I Quote:[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333][COLOR=0000FF]US FDA[/COLOR] says:[/COLOR]
"Shell eggs should not be frozen. If an egg accidentally freezes and the shell cracked during freezing, discard the egg. Keep any uncracked eggs frozen until needed; then thaw in the refrigerator. These can be hard cooked successfully but other uses may be limited. That's because freezing causes the yolk to become thick and syrupy so it will not flow like an unfrozen yolk or blend very well with the egg white or other ingredients."

[COLOR=333333]My solution was to heat the nesting boxes (3 boxes in total).[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Materials used:[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Seedling heat mats. Each uses 17 watts. Water proof construction. UL listed.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]CONSTRUCTION:[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]I began by cleaning the 16" cube nesting box out completely.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]I cut a 1" hole in the top of the box to insert the power cord of the seed mat.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Then installed mat to box using paint sticks and screws. The mat bends easily when warm.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]I covered the mats with the leaf bags, a perfect fit at 16" width. Disposable when soiled.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]I covered the leaf bags with shredded junk mail, easily replaced and plentiful, and inserted some ceramic eggs in each box[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Connected the 3 boxes to the power cord extension[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Connected the power cord extension to the power strip, which has the thermo cube and LED night light to show when thermo cube is powered on[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]The power strip is connected to the light timer, set to turn on at 5:30am, off at 9:00pm. Note that the power to the lights are on the first timer outlet, which first goes through a photocell, so lights only are only on when needed. All power comes from a GFIC outlet. All wiring is inaccessible to the flock.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Summary:[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]The light timer supplies power on at 5:30am, off at 9:00pm.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]The Thermo cube powers the mats only when temps reach below 35F, and off at 45F[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]The mats heat the nesting material to around 20 degrees above ambient temperatures.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]The "Heated Nest Boxes" help keep the eggs from freezing till temperatures reach around 10F.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Hope this helps others![/COLOR]
Very clever. I love it. Seedling mats are nice and tough, weather resistant... Great idea.

Last winter was unusually cold for my area, with days turning to weeks of temperatures way below freezing.

My schedule allowed me to gather my eggs twice a day, 8am and 8pm.

For weeks I had cracked frozen eggs. Literally dozens of eggs were deemed unfit for human consumption, and fed back the the birds.

I Quote:
US FDA says:

"Shell eggs should not be frozen. If an egg accidentally freezes and the shell cracked during freezing, discard the egg. Keep any uncracked eggs frozen until needed; then thaw in the refrigerator. These can be hard cooked successfully but other uses may be limited. That's because freezing causes the yolk to become thick and syrupy so it will not flow like an unfrozen yolk or blend very well with the egg white or other ingredients."

My solution was to heat the nesting boxes (3 boxes in total).

Materials used:

Seedling heat mats. Each uses 17 watts. Water proof construction. UL listed.

Ron, where did you get the heat mat from? It's a brilliant idea!

hello folks
I live in Montana and it getting old here as of now the temperature is about 19f during the day and -2 at night I have 2 heat lamps and a radiant heater in my coop keeping it around 40 f to 50 f but this is costly to power bill so I am building solar heat for the coop to keep it warm for my girls and to prevent the frozen eggs thing from happing there are many ways to build these I am trying to keep the cost down so that everything is easy to share for those of us on low incomes can afford to enjoy this nice hobby
I am building my first one as I am typing here it will be made from flat black spray paint fire rated sealant in calking tubes soda pop cans 2x4 frame hardy back board and my glass is an old shower door so this one is a 30wx60h it will be couple days before I can post pictures of this one working time for paint to dry and me collecting all the soda pop cans
the second one I will make using soup cans instead of soda pop cans
the third one will be out of tin siding I will be hooking one up to heat my room in the house so I can save on heat bill and I can also monitor the heat I get from it easier

hello folks
I live in Montana and it getting old here as of now the temperature is about 19f during the day and -2 at night I have 2 heat lamps and a radiant heater in my coop keeping it around 40 f to 50 f but this is costly to power bill so I am building solar heat for the coop to keep it warm for my girls and to prevent the frozen eggs thing from happing there are many ways to build these I am trying to keep the cost down so that everything is easy to share for those of us on low incomes can afford to enjoy this nice hobby
I am building my first one as I am typing here it will be made from flat black spray paint fire rated sealant in calking tubes soda pop cans 2x4 frame hardy back board and my glass is an old shower door so this one is a 30wx60h it will be couple days before I can post pictures of this one working time for paint to dry and me collecting all the soda pop cans
the third one will be out of tin siding I will be hooking one up to heat my room in the house so I can save on heat bill and I can also monitor the heat I get from it easier
I've looked at those solar can heaters before and LOVE the idea.
love.gif
I'm planning to build one soon as well. I'm gathering the cans right now. Would love to see pics of yours when you have it built and to hear how it works out for you.

hello folks

Aside from the whole egg freezing deal.... I know people in Alaska that dont heat their coops. you could save some bucks that way....

deb

With the right number of birds and good insulation and ventilation, we were able to avoid heating last winter firbthe most part. I think we ran aheat lamp or two at 60 below ambient.

This year I doubt we'll need that. The hen house stayed at it above freezing last winter most of the time. We live in Fairbanks, so that is pretty impressive without heat.
I prefer the hen house to stay below freezing so our big struggle last year was keeping it cool enough. We got rid of even the 60 watt incandescent bulbs and swapped for LEDs.

hello folks
I live in Montana and it getting old here as of now the temperature is about 19f during the day and -2 at night I have 2 heat lamps and a radiant heater in my coop keeping it around 40 f to 50 f but this is costly to power bill so I am building solar heat for the coop to keep it warm for my girls and to prevent the frozen eggs thing from happing there are many ways to build these I am trying to keep the cost down so that everything is easy to share for those of us on low incomes can afford to enjoy this nice hobby

I am soo soo interested in the solar way of doing things. Ty for Sharing!!!!

hello folks

I live in Maine. Last year it was 15 below zero in the coop for several days. Way below freezing for weeks at a time. No insulation, no heat, 5 birds. They all did great. Ventilation is much more important than heat. I also only lost one egg the whole winter to freezing. I feed, grab any eggs in the morning and then gather eggs at night when I get home from work.

hi folks
for what ever reason the chickens here almost quit laying eggs my sisters get way less and my uncle also keeps his coop at 55 he told me so they lay all the time today was first day the chicken got a taste of cold weather they stuck their heads out of the coop then turned back around and went under the lamps

Back
Top Bottom