DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

Any angle will make the water pour off, even half a degree, usually you need a steeper angle due to snow.

Deb, those pop rivets are super handy when working with aluminium, easy way to attach stuff. And they're pretty strong too.

Consider that a plumbing drain requires a 1/4" per foot slope, a shower 1/8" per foot slope. Like Felix said ANY slope will let water run off. Pitch doesn't matter at all as long as the roof is strong enough to hold the snow load. Snow will stay on a 10 pitch (10' rise for 12' run, ie nearly 40 degrees) roof.

Consider that a plumbing drain requires a 1/4" per foot slope, a shower 1/8" per foot slope. Like Felix said ANY slope will let water run off. Pitch doesn't matter at all as long as the roof is strong enough to hold the snow load. Snow will stay on a 10 pitch (10' rise for 12' run, ie nearly 40 degrees) roof.

Here the snow only lasts till the sun comes out.... We get only about 72 hours worth of snow per year.... So even in worse case which has happened here we get one foot in one day I think the structure of the panels should be able to handle it. And all of the interior of my coop will be able to handle the load.

Heck I dont even mind if it leaks.... its mostly for sun protection here.

deb

the water is a 5 gallon water jug with five gallon bucket with holes cut
for them to drink I have it setting on cinder block also i have the heat lamp and roost under were I wanted them but they are still sitting on the ground and the roost here still wouldnt climb the ramp they are 3 months old
Could you elaborate on that waterer a bit? It is a regular chicken waterer sitting in the bucket? Not sure what I'm seeing there.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thats a five gallon water jug from a water dispenser flipped upside down and set in a white bucket that has access holes in it. at least thats what I see

deb

If so, how does he keep it from overflowing? It has to be sealed somehow for that to happen.

Just like the office water dispenser.... there is the bottom part of the bucket the water will only rise as far as the opening of the bottle. In order to fill it all you need to do is fill the Large bottle and drop the five gallon bucket over it then flip the whole thing over.... the water will come out of the bottle till it reaches the mouth of fhe bottle. Air pressure keeps it in.

deb

I have a very small flock of 6 - 8 hens and a very small coop. I looked for water heaters to keep water from freezing in winter and found that they were expensive and too large. I decided to try and build something that would be cheaper and fit better and this is what I came up with.
I picked up an electric grill at a garage sale.
I turned it upside down and took the guts out of it.
I then cut the end off a small extension cord and threaded a couple of pieces of flashing and a screen door spring on to it. Then I replaced the end.
I then threaded the cord through the side of the base, putting one piece of flashing on the inside and the other on the outside.
I used a couple of small bolts to hold the flashing in place. This holds the cord and keeps mice out.
I picked up a plugin light socket at the hardware store and a small incandescent bulb. 25 watts is plenty.
I then turned the base upside down onto a fire proof material, in this case a suitable sized metal pan but any fire proof material would work.
A small plastic water font fits perfectly on top. I have used this heater for several years now and it keeps the water from freezing in the coldest weather. No more wading through knee-deep snow to de-ice water fonts two or three times a day. Cost was less than $10 and worth every penny.

I have a very small flock of 6 - 8 hens and a very small coop. I looked for water heaters to keep water from freezing in winter and found that they were expensive and too large. I decided to try and build something that would be cheaper and fit better and this is what I came up with.
I picked up an electric grill at a garage sale.
I turned it upside down and took the guts out of it.
I then cut the end off a small extension cord and threaded a couple of pieces of flashing and a screen door spring on to it. Then I replaced the end.
I then threaded the cord through the side of the base, putting one piece of flashing on the inside and the other on the outside.
I used a couple of small bolts to hold the flashing in place. This holds the cord and keeps mice out.
I picked up a plugin light socket at the hardware store and a small incandescent bulb. 25 watts is plenty.
I then turned the base upside down onto a fire proof material, in this case a suitable sized metal pan but any fire proof material would work.
A small plastic water font fits perfectly on top. I have used this heater for several years now and it keeps the water from freezing in the coldest weather. No more wading through knee-deep snow to de-ice water fonts two or three times a day. Cost was less than $10 and worth every penny.

nice..... love the cermaic part for sure...

deb

Back
Top Bottom