DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

A bubbler helped me until -10C. Bought a heated horse bucket this time, ducks need open water ( not that chickens don't )The first day it froze solid they ran to me in a panic when I brought them water...my ducks don't run to me ever...

Yeh I know.... Dang I never had to deal with your kind of temperatures. Drinking aside those duckies need to clean their nasal passages by immersion....

Exactly!
Lol I couldn't take you temps... I'd fry...

I have always lived in a desert climate.... just means low humidity by the way..... but In Roswell NM we got about a foot of snow.... in Vegas we got Dust storms that would close schools.... Here we have the best of both.... and now its Drought we have to contend with.

I dont dare water anything but my animals... cant afford the water.

deb

@aart
I was going to use my fish tank heater but ended up throwing in the stock tank heater in a hurry. I guess I'll find out in the next day or 2 if it keeps them open. I do have the fish tank heater but haven't put it out there yet.

So we can compare.

I have both in my 5 gallon water source. The stock tank heater works until about 10F IIRC, then I plug in the aquarium heater at 70F instead. I had the aquarium heater but if you need to buy one, the submersible heaters are pretty cheap. My waterer is a 3/4" pipe with rigid insulation surrounding it built into the bottom of a nest box, with saddle nipples. Only the metal part of the nipple sticks out below the bottom of the box. I had to rebuild it after 3 of the five nipples failed the night before Thanksgiving last year. I should check the operation this year to make sure I'm not swapping in the higher temp heater sooner than necessary.

Someone posted a nifty little hay feeder that they made to use with their goats. I thought it was on this thread, but I've searched and searched and can't find it.

If that sounds familiar to anyone, could you let me know where it may be?

Much thanks :D

Back
Top Bottom