DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

Here's a teaser, waiting for some nipples to arrive in the mail.

Three liter bucket with space blanket wrapped around it (silver side in), there's some on the bottom of it too and it's glued to the inside of a 8 liter bucket, with some PU foam between the buckets (not on the bottom, since the nipples will go there). Once the nipples arrive, I'll drill holes in the bottom for them, and then I need to make a hole for the heater cable to go inside. And then I just need to cut out a lid from PU insulation board, and it's done.

Here's a teaser, waiting for some nipples to arrive in the mail.

Three liter bucket with space blanket wrapped around it (silver side in), there's some on the bottom of it too and it's glued to the inside of a 8 liter bucket, with some PU foam between the buckets (not on the bottom, since the nipples will go there). Once the nipples arrive, I'll drill holes in the bottom for them, and then I need to make a hole for the heater cable to go inside. And then I just need to cut out a lid from PU insulation board, and it's done.

Hmmm, looks amazingly similar in concept to a purchasable ($65, heater not included) "frost free bucket waterer" that was linked on another chicken related forum. Will yours have an insulated pod enclosing all but the metal pin in the nipple?

Nope, I'm going "KISS" on this one, and apart from some more nipples I wanted to build it with stuff I had at hand. I'd say the cost of this if everything would have been bought for it would be about 6-7 euros plus the heater cable. 65 bucks sounds like highway robbery to me. Even if I built it a lot larger, it would still be quite a lot cheaper than that. 65 with heater sounds more like a reasonable price. But I suppose it's a question of supply and demand.

That hasn't really seemed to be an issue for us, the heater cable rests on the bottom of the bucket and as long as there's some liquid water in the waterer I've got in there at the moment, the nipples seem to be working. I think enough heat radiates through the bottom to keep them from freezing, although the space blanket I've got in between might change that. We'll see how it goes.

*Edit* To clarify, it hasn't been an issue in the uninsulated bucket that's in there at the moment. But because the new waterer is going to be insulated on all sides except for the bottom, I think it should keep them from freezing.

Last edited:
That hasn't really seemed to be an issue for us, the heater cable rests on the bottom of the bucket and as long as there's some liquid water in the waterer I've got in there at the moment, the nipples seem to be working. I think enough heat radiates through the bottom to keep them from freezing, although the space blanket I've got in between might change that. We'll see how it goes.

*Edit* To clarify, it hasn't been an issue in the uninsulated bucket that's in there at the moment. But because the new waterer is going to be insulated on all sides except for the bottom, I think it should keep them from freezing.

Just curious if this will be outside in the element so to speak or in your coop? Also how cold does it get in Finland were you are at?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom