DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

No algae problems this winter. I might when the weather starts to heat up. At that point I'll take out the heaters. The waterer is not directly exposed to sunlight so it shouldn't heat up too bad in the summer.
I put a teaspoon of acidified copper sulfate per 5 gal of water keeper the algae growth out.cheers

2F584D50-9DB6-4930-A261-93BD336E19D3.jpeg

I have a rain barrel for watering the chickens.

Next step add water level sensor and more cups.

One byproduct of my chicks is empty feed bags. I've been using them as planters for my vegetable garden (roll down tops, fill with soil, poke drain holes) and last summer grew lemon cucumbers and tomatillos in them. This year I plan container eggplant, peppers and carrots. I also have a couple of bentwood rocking chairs whose bottoms wore out. Since I am hopelessly aweful at caning, I used feed bags, cut them to size, used carpenters glue and staples to attach them to the chair bottoms. They are holding up great, are very comfortable and my husband loves the rustic look. Will try to get pictures to post.
You can also sew them to make market bags!

This may be old technology (I’m new here) but I made these holders for the chick sized water and feeder since I got tired of them being knocked over. It’s just a u-shaped piece of plywood’s with a hinged wire - works great so far. They will be replaced with bigger capacity ones once I move the chicks out of their temporary coop.
This looks like an old thread but I love seeing people's inventions so hoping it will revive.
I love these holders.
For the food one I drilled a hole in the top and put an eye bolt through it, I used a small piece of cedar inside as a washer so the plastic doesn't tear. Now I can hang my chick-sized feeder to keep it off the ground. I use a chain and as they grown I can move it higher.

I have used my food bags as a wall when the temperature dropped.

I stapled them to the wood and anchored them on the ground with pine chips.

I have used them to cover the nests to keep a chicken out of them.

I have used them as a rain barrier on areas that only have hardware cloth.

My pullets have been jumping on top of my feeders and rocking out food. They solved the waste-free design, so I put a dog cone on each.

IMG_20220723_094229242_HDR.jpg

The handle broke off on this one awhile ago, and my partner rigged up a sturdier solution with coated cable and those cable clamp things.

IMG_20220723_094606052.jpg

Now the weight is distributed across that lip, instead of at the two points the old handle was connected. It slips off when I take the feeder off of the hangers, but it's easy to line back up.

This hanging waterer will need one pretty soon...

IMG_20220723_094834725.jpg

Back
Top Bottom