Do chicken eggs sell?

See we have only lived here since October and it is a very small town with at least one single mother selling them
but I am not certain of her price or location. I have considered walking down the street stopping at each house saying we are new to the
area then handing them a dozen eggs saying I am selling them but would enjoy giving them a dozen if they want more
then telling them the prices if they ask

My grandson put up a sign at the road brown eggs 2.50 a dozenn We live in a small community in Ohio and people do drive by and see the sign. When we are out of eggs the sign comes down. There have been times when we can't fill the order so phone no. are exchanged. I know we are cheap and will gradually raise the price to $3.00 So far we sell asorted sizes in the carton.

Is the sign effective? Or do you also put craigslist ads?

I have four total I know the woman next door stopped me doing chicken wire but that said none of my other neighbors have
come by so I am not sure. I did do craigs list but don't believe it helped
idunno.gif

We mostly sell to people that pass by and see the sign. Two customers get several doz. when they come and others usually get 2 doz. at a time. Chickens are paying for themselves and giving grandson some pocket money. Grandson Drew will be taking chickens to the Wayne County fair in Sept. We have a total of 8 roosters Cochin, Sultun and silkie and 3 silkie hens that are free loaders, my 3 sultun hens have only been laying for a couple of weeks and the rest of the girls have been laying since last august. We had to use a light over winter to keep production up. Most costs have been repaid from eggmoney. we are getting 20 to 26 eggs a day and have a buyer for 3 hens so plan on gettong more golden buffs for production. Also plan on separating my silkies to their own private quarters so the hens can sit on nests. All are enclosed in the same area and they all get along extremely well. I also keep the white eggs for our own use.

Last edited:
I would not waste my time trying to sell eggs over the internet. A poster board sign with [ EGGS and the cost] should be all you need.

In my area, my local feed store will buy eggs. I sell my extra to them, but they pay less than my neighbors. I charge $6 a dozen and no one blinks an eye at the price, much to my surprise. I have a dozen hens, a mixture of Rhode Island Reds, and Black sex-link hens and a turkey. They lay at least 2 a day each during their laying season. If there is a feed store in your area, I'll bet they have a bulletin board for livestock notices. If you take a few pictures of your flock, and write a note about how they come from a small backyard flock, including their names, people think it's really cute.With all the health benefits to locally grown and raised food, it really is worth the effort, in my opinion.If you can't find a bulletin board, print a few fliers and put them on the doors of your most health-conscious neighbors. I include a phone number with no address because I don't want surprise visitors and ask that they call first. Hope this was helpful:) Good luck!

In my area, my local feed store will buy eggs. I sell my extra to them, but they pay less than my neighbors. I charge $6 a dozen and no one blinks an eye at the price, much to my surprise. I have a dozen hens, a mixture of Rhode Island Reds, and Black sex-link hens and a turkey. They lay at least 2 a day each during their laying season. If there is a feed store in your area, I'll bet they have a bulletin board for livestock notices. If you take a few pictures of your flock, and write a note about how they come from a small backyard flock, including their names, people think it's really cute.With all the health benefits to locally grown and raised food, it really is worth the effort, in my opinion.If you can't find a bulletin board, print a few fliers and put them on the doors of your most health-conscious neighbors. I include a phone number with no address because I don't want surprise visitors and ask that they call first. Hope this was helpful:) Good luck!

Where did you ever find hens that lay twice daily???

In my area, my local feed store will buy eggs. I sell my extra to them, but they pay less than my neighbors. I charge $6 a dozen and no one blinks an eye at the price, much to my surprise. I have a dozen hens, a mixture of Rhode Island Reds, and Black sex-link hens and a turkey. They lay at least 2 a day each during their laying season. If there is a feed store in your area, I'll bet they have a bulletin board for livestock notices. If you take a few pictures of your flock, and write a note about how they come from a small backyard flock, including their names, people think it's really cute.With all the health benefits to locally grown and raised food, it really is worth the effort, in my opinion.If you can't find a bulletin board, print a few fliers and put them on the doors of your most health-conscious neighbors. I  include a phone number with no address because I don't want surprise visitors and ask that they call first. Hope this was helpful:) Good luck!

I'm confused on that as well. You have 12 chickens but get nearly 24 eggs a day? For one to double up is possible but unlikely. It takes a little over a full day for them to produce a single egg

I'm confused on that as well. You have 12 chickens but get nearly 24 eggs a day? For one to double up is possible but unlikely. It takes a little over a full day for them to produce a single egg

Yes it just doesn't happen often and not a whole flock. I have a neighbor that tells me his chickens lay 2-3 eggs a day each, I just smile!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom