Do chickens eat ants?

Lori Anne

Hatching
Jul 29, 2015
3 weeks ago I bought 5 day old Brown Leg Horn chicks in the hopes that they would forage in the back yard and help us battle our Thatcher Ant problem. So far I haven't seen them eat a single ant. They readily eat blackflies and moths. When they see an ant, they just watch it walk away. I saw some You Tube videos of chickens demolishing ant hills. Is it something they will do when they are older? I really pictured chickens eating all bugs they see. Perhaps I should have tried a different breed of chicken?

They should....

Mine eat anything they can get in thier beaks, I'm a bit surprised the chicks watch them without pecking at them. Give them time, they should start eating them

Mine don't eat ants... although some of them will eat the larvae etc if I turn over a rock and find a nest. Maybe if you dug into the nest a bit they would pitch in?

Mine will browse a bit on ants, at least I think they are, I can't really be sure. They do seem to be more interested in the larvae and pupae. Just yesterday I pulled some old utility fabric out of my garden shed that had been colonized by carpenter ants. I tossed it outside and called the chickens over. They gobbled up all the cocoons and seemed to be pecking around in the area for a while afterwards. These were sizable ants and my hens seemed fairly indifferent. I'm sure they ate a few and I have seen them take a peck or two at a line of sugar ants. But I think they could take 'em or leave 'em.

Thanks for all the replies! I will cross my fingers and hope they will acquire a taste for them!

Back
Top Bottom