Do chickens eat ants?

We moved into a house with a long concrete patio. There were ant beds all along the concrete. The chickens took care of them all within a few months. But different chickens like different things. Mine used to go nuts for dried mealworms. The chickens I have now are totally not interested.

This is how you deal with fire ants.
big_smile.png
wow very cool....

I have not seen mine eat ants but I know that they can (and probably have) eaten them before. With yours they may just simply not like ants. All chickens are different!

3 weeks ago I bought 5 day old Brown Leg Horn chicks in the hopes that they would forage in the back yard and help us battle our Thatcher Ant problem. So far I haven't seen them eat a single ant. They readily eat blackflies and moths. When they see an ant, they just watch it walk away. I saw some You Tube videos of chickens demolishing ant hills. Is it something they will do when they are older? I really pictured chickens eating all bugs they see. Perhaps I should have tried a different breed of chicken?
Mine do eat ants, but that doesn't seem to be their particular area of interest....maybe because ants are so small.
wink.png

I don't think you can count on the chickens to control insect issues of any kind all by themselves.

Back
Top Bottom