Do chickens feel sad when I take her eggs??

1 this thread is not a joke and it is a very serious matter that could disrupt my hens mental health.
2 so what if I spoil my hens they aren't fat they aren't ill amd seem very content
3 thank you for your replies.

Quote:
I agree! We own chickens for different reasons and see them in different ways. It is very disrespectful to make fun of a valid inquiry, like yours.

I think, based on all said, that while we can't be absolutely sure about how chickens feel at any time, you could rest assured knowing that you will not make your birds so sad that you get them upset. Although when they are broody, that maternal instinct kicks in aggresively and they turn quite protective of their eggs.

It will be your decision to replace real eggs with decoys if your birds become broody, or let them incubate them. Since I got my birds mainly for the eggs and I do not plan on eating them, I would use decoys to collect the eggs. I can't have roosters in my yard so they'll always be infertile anyway. But when the time comes to add some youth to my little flock I may sneak in baby chicks under a broody hen, keeping her from getting frustrated over a failed motherhood...

From a pet lover to another
wink.png

Quote:
I agree..I spoil my hens and they are my pets..I do not think anyone has the right to make anyone else feel silly for posting an honest question..I wonder if my ladies are upset, or bored or sad all the Time. I feel as though they know if they have emotions and who am I or any human for that matter to say they don't? It is a very legit question..thanks for posting it!
smile.png

We are all sorry I for one thought it was a joke with the wink wink nudge nudge and after re-reading the OP I see that you are serious and I apologize for any comments that may upset you or your chickens . I removed my attempt at humor in my previous post and will try to be more understanding and sypathetic in the future, again I am sorry just trying to be funny and apparently this situation is far more serious than I previously had thought, again, forgive me.
hide.gif

Quote:

Last edited:
Quote:

Sorry I did not want you to be sad
hit.gif
anyways thanks and I suppose I should have known when I put '*wink wink nudge nudge*'!!

Quote:
it is more a survival instinct than a need to have a friend, at least in the sense that humans have friends. Safety in numbers and all of that

No they dont get sad when you take their eggs on a regular daily basis,..
BUT if they are BROODY and already sitting on the eggs, they DO get upset and try to defend their nest...
I always feel bad about taking eggs from a broody because i can see that it upsets them..

I also think they DO get upset when you take the baby chicks from them... its their instinct to protect those babies, so of COURSE they stress when you take the babies from them..

Quote:
But they will be happy as can be if you make them some scrambled eggs..... Go figure!
wink.png

Bwhahahhahahaha!
yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif

It doesn't matter to a hen when you take her eggs unless she is broody, then she will be upset. But if you don't want chicks, then sometimes you have to take the eggs anyways. They won't be upset for long.

Back
Top Bottom