Do geese help protect the other poultry since they are mean?

Quote:
All geese will hiss, not just ganders.
My geese are not mean. We raised them to respect us and alert us to intruders. If someone went out back with us, all is well. Just don't go out there by alone.

Most goose aggressiveness comes from mishandling. Most times, respect the goose and he/she will respect you.

Geese are natural bullies. And like bullies they are easy to call a bluff on. Next time one hisses at you, hiss back and walk slowly toward them. They will back off.

Quote:
Hmmmm, everyone at the county fair said it was a female, although she has never laid any eggs. She was instantly a mother to the duck when he was a baby and is very attached to him, they are best friends. She won best goose at the fair. She really has a ton of personality.

Quote:
My geese are not mean. We raised them to respect us and alert us to intruders. If someone went out back with us, all is well. Just don't go out there by alone.

Most goose aggressiveness comes from mishandling. Most times, respect the goose and he/she will respect you.

Geese are natural bullies. And like bullies they are easy to call a bluff on. Next time one hisses at you, hiss back and walk slowly toward them. They will back off.

She's not much of a problem with us, she backs off pretty quickly. But she's a goose with attitude. She's a big comedian and has the run of the yard.

One thing about geese is that they help keep the grass clipped.

Quote:

Most geese that hiss are males. They only way to know for sure is to sex them. My male geese are the only ones that hiss.

I had a similar question about keeping chickens and geese together and it was suggested to keep them in separate spaces (I have two Pomeranium goslings).

My problem is that they will be sharing the same pasture, so why wouldn't it be ok for them to share the barn. It seems like it would be ok if I made them their own little space in the barn to sleep.

Thoughts??

A neighbor had their geese killed by racoons, but they will alert you to predators if they can. Aparrently, the raccoons skinned the geese alive, pulling them through the fence. The owners felt guilty, for not waking up at what must have been a very vicious attack. They are part of the reason that I have poultry now, since I was always curious about the geese I heard in town. And both sexes hiss. I don't know if ganders hiss more, but get close to a Canada goose's goslings, and she will hiss!

I grew up with huge mean geese. Males and females hiss. Males and females will chase you. Males and females will bite you.

A goose is a good size but it won't run off most predators looking for a midnight meal. They too can be the victims of predators. Hissing and honking is not fighting back a critter looking for food. It is raising a ruckus to get you to comehandle the predator.

Please consider a separate home for your ducks and geese. Please make sure the males have a female of their kind to mate with. I do not believe animals should be thrown in together in a big clump. The duck will kill your hens and over mate them in a viscious manner. Ducks and geese do better in a 3 female to 1 male ratio. Get them both a harem and let them have their own kingdom to rule. Please.

As far as the coons. Build your runs like Ft. Knox. Use three strands of electric fence on the outside.

Yes, I'm getting more waterfowl and plan to move them to a separate outbuilding and give them the free run of the main yard. They are good lawnmowers and can't fly over my garden fence.

Thanks for the imput!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom