Do you Clean out poop from the run?

I clean my coops by flipping the dirt. I just use a shovel or pitchfork. The first year or so is a pita, but after that the dirt becomes soft and easy to work, and I at that point I find the work a pleasure.

Where I'm at it's hot and dry, our soils heavy clay, and all 8 of our coops/runs are fully roofed. We don't have much in the way of natural organics like leaves to add. Our native trees have leaves about the size of a grain of rice and thorns that can reach a couple inches long. We do get mesquite wood and beans, and cactus pads...but all of those are risky for chicken feet. Even after chipping, some of the mesquite thorn bits can get you. So all of that stuff gets cold composted with horse manure.

We also have snakes, snakes and more snakes where I'm at. I found in my first few years of chickens here that the snakes like deep litter or anything they can burrow into. Maybe because our natural landscapes pretty barren.

I really want the deep litter, compost in my runs though and this year is the first year I haven't seen a single rattlesnake. Instead I've seen about ten different king snakes of various ages on our property. The number of kingsnakes has been growing for a few years and rattlesnakes decreasing. Kings are known for killing rattlesnakes so I'm hopeful our 20 yrs of rattlesnake problems are over. So this year I added a year old cold compost pile and paper shreds to my newest coop where the dirts still a pain to flip. Retoppong occasionally from another old cold compost pile and paper shreds. I haven't flipped the dirt in that coop ever yet and so far it's ok. Think my birds in the flipped dirt coops have better dust bathing though so I might add a dust bath tire to my experimental bedding coop.

Curious to know if you all clean out poop from the run? I added pine bark nuggets and mix it around and it seems to be ok for now. Today, the edges of the run are getting muddy bc of the rain coming in from the sides. I'm reading to use pelletized bedding, but then it turns to sawdust. Are ppl picking out poop from it or just turning it often and letting everything just eventually become one with the dirt floor?
I scoop mine out every 2,3 months. I do rake it every so often but it boggles my mind how fast they mess it up!!! With only 5 hens it becomes a LOT pretty quick. Ive tried just the dirt, pine? shavings (that blows EVERYWHERE), leftover garden mulch,HATED that (too hard on MY feet) and finally playground sand. The sand has been the best, I think, but I ordered it during a time that a hurricane in Baja? came up through So. Cal a couple months ago and everyone needed the big bags of cement sand for sandbags so I couldn't get enough bags to do it right. I was able to get playground/sandbox sand. Another 5 or 6. 50 lb bags and I will be set!!! It feels SO nice on my feet!!! So easy to clean too except a couple if my youngest cats decided it makes an awesome cat box!! 😂

Last edited:
The sand has been the best, I think,

I know some people really like sand. Maybe it depends on where you live and if the run is covered or not. I live on a lake and when I first got poultry, I used free sand from the lake. When dry and fresh, it was OK. But when it got wet, mixed with duck/chicken/goose poo, the sand really smelled bad. I was constantly replacing it with fresh, clean sand. It was a lot of work.

Now I only dump organics in my chicken run and let them compost in place. It works much better for me than when I used to have sand as litter.

I clean my coops by flipping the dirt. I just use a shovel or pitchfork. The first year or so is a pita, but after that the dirt becomes soft and easy to work, and I at that point I find the work a pleasure.

Where I'm at it's hot and dry, our soils heavy clay, and all 8 of our coops/runs are fully roofed. We don't have much in the way of natural organics like leaves to add. Our native trees have leaves about the size of a grain of rice and thorns that can reach a couple inches long. We do get mesquite wood and beans, and cactus pads...but all of those are risky for chicken feet. Even after chipping, some of the mesquite thorn bits can get you. So all of that stuff gets cold composted with horse manure.

We also have snakes, snakes and more snakes where I'm at. I found in my first few years of chickens here that the snakes like deep litter or anything they can burrow into. Maybe because our natural landscapes pretty barren.

I really want the deep litter, compost in my runs though and this year is the first year I haven't seen a single rattlesnake. Instead I've seen about ten different king snakes of various ages on our property. The number of kingsnakes has been growing for a few years and rattlesnakes decreasing. Kings are known for killing rattlesnakes so I'm hopeful our 20 yrs of rattlesnake problems are over. So this year I added a year old cold compost pile and paper shreds to my newest coop where the dirts still a pain to flip. Retoppong occasionally from another old cold compost pile and paper shreds. I haven't flipped the dirt in that coop ever yet and so far it's ok. Think my birds in the flipped dirt coops have better dust bathing though so I might add a dust bath tire to my experimental bedding coop.
May I ask where you live? Snakes, Snakes, Snakes 🐍 no way ! I'll stay in Florida. Lol

May I ask where you live? Snakes, Snakes, Snakes 🐍 no way ! I'll stay in Florida. Lol
Arizona. It's our third home here and the first one we've had such a snake problem. Not sure why but the snakes were here before us. Long nose, night snakes, glossy snakes, bull snakes, coach whips, king snakes, garter snakes, thread snakes....and of course rattlesnakes. Think I've seen most of AZ snake species right in our yard....we've seen all the ones listed here on our property and a couple others I never identified. :idunno
Most are pretty neat and welcome to be here...but the rattlesnakes have bitten too many animals here so I kill them on sight.

Editing to add I spent three years removing about a half acre of giant reed filling a wash area....I was so sure that was what drew the snakes. Nope. Wish I'd left it! 😂

Last edited:
I’m in zone 9 and, up until this summer, I was using the deep litter method in the coop and run with hemp. I would stir up the coop droppings every day and once a week I’d clean it all out (adding that litter to the run) and refresh with new hemp. I would stir the run litter daily to aerate and just scrape poop off the wood. The hemp is so absorbent the poop would just dry out and break down and there was no smell. This summer we had a terrible problem with yellow jackets (not making a nest but visiting every day in huge droves) and the only thing that has helped is scooping every piece of poop from the coop and run twice a day. In the coop I just have a thin layer of hemp scattered because I have to scoop it every morning. In the run there’s just a modest layer of hemp over the dirt floor.

Sorry I seem to have posted my reply to the original post rather weirdly…. No idea how I managed that…. My daughter will be so embarrassed by my tech disability.

Back
Top Bottom