• No

Votes: 12 5.6%
  • Only my favorites

Votes: 28 13.1%

• Total voters
Pics
Naming is the Fun Part

I have a BCM that my kiddo named Scratch
Then we have the Sailor Guardians. 2 RIR - Moon & Mercury, 2 Barred Rock - Luna & Jupiter and 2 Novogens - Saturn & Venus.
We just added 6 Speckled Sussex and they are named after my boyfriend and i's fav TV show, Arrow. They are Oliver, Thea, Felicity, Laurel, Cin & Lyla.

My Ducks are named after Land Before Time - Chomper, Cera, Ali, Ruby, Trisha & Tria. We had Ducky and Petrie too but they were mean boys so they are no longer with us.

Oh boy... do we ever! Every animal that comes through here gets a name. Even the late stage egg quitters!

Chooks: Lavender, Dotty, Pinguino, Lucy, Speck, Esther, Iron, Brigid, La Salette, Pia, Carmel, Nellie, Martha, Mary, Grace, Colette, Rose, Helena, Susanna and Petra (we also had Ruth, but she passed away)

The quail are: Luis, Zellie, Felicity(turned Felix) Easter, Pascha, Agnus, Cæli, Quill, Chick-Chick and Letaræ. We also have Werburgh the duck and Gussie the goose! And don't get me started on the rest of our zoo😝

We try and go with a patron saint theme for our fluffy babies, and since most of the names are "normal human" names it can get quite funny when we're talking about the animals in a casual conversation with an outsider.

Yes everyone has names. Some come to us with names (we have rescue chickens, ducks and cats) and others are named by us. Six hens: Betty White, Pepper, Tangerine, Cinnamon, Lillia, and Pumpkin. Seven ducks: Rue, Daffy, Donald, Ebony, Platinum, Sterling, and Copper. As you can tell most of them are named after their colors. We usually get our birds in groups so they sometimes get named in a theme (cartoon ducks, colors, etc.)

We have 4 Hens, 3 Road Island Reds & 1 Australorpe. Rocky, Roadie, Pecan (pecken) & Praline. Roadie is the Australorpe. I never name pets or in this case hens human names. Sorry not to offend anyone just my way. Previously we thought we had hens & all but Roadie including a Silkie were males NOT allowed! Beautiful birds had to give away so did to a pet supply they sold all that day $60. ea. we found out🥲 The Australorpe was the only one out of that group of 6 that was a female-Roadie.

The only birds I don't name are the ones I know for sure I'm not keeping. Even if there's the slightest chance they may stay here, they get a name. At the moment I have around 85 birds, but several of those are roosters I'm not keeping and chicks that I have also deemed non-keepers, so my true count is probably closer to 75 at the moment, and more in the incubator. The youngins haven't been named yet, but everyone else has a name. 🙂

Sometimes I have themes, sometimes I let them name themselves, sometimes I write down a list of names that I like and try them out on birds until I find the right fit. Fit is pretty important to me; if a name just doesn't suit a bird then it's hard for me to use, and I use their names a lot when I'm out there with them. I have several birds that friends named, which I deal with because my friends named them, but a couple of them are definitely not proper fits. 😅

There's a lot so I'm not going to list all their names, but I have names ranging from Athena, Zinnia, Harriet, to Skeeter, Ganymede, and She Who Sleeps Standing Up. 🤭 I lean more toward 'people names' these days, especially 'vintage' or 'grandparent names', but sometimes something else just suits a bird better or an event warrants going a more unusual route to find their names.

Yes and no. My flock in Colorado had names, but I'm pretty sure that they shared their names. They were mostly buff orpingtons, so it's hard to say for sure. When one kept getting into the neighbor's yard we called her Miss Creant. One went broody and we called her Miss Anthrope. One was crippled. I was going to name her Miss Shapen but my physical therapist suggested Miss Aligned and we stuck with that. They didn't all have names and sometimes they rotated names. Mostly they shared the name "Ladies ".

I always name my chickens! I have 14 Blossom, Jessie, lily, Marigold, hope, Daffy, Amelia, Royal, Almanzo, Leia, tilda, Belle, Evelyn and Josephine I was wondering if other people name their chickens?
I named mine too. My first three I called Harriett, Henrieta, and Penelope - Harry, Henny, and Penny. They have all since passed now so next I put coloured bands on their legs and their name started with the colour letter. i.e. Purple = Penny. Not sure where to go now with the next lot. I've run out of colours and really need the bands to help me identify each one in the early days until their characters emerge and I get to recognise them. Although I have 4 out of my 5 at the moment who all look very similar. There is only one that stands out as she is the clucky one and is now going into a full malt (very cold here in Melbourne Victoria, Australia).

I named mine too. My first three I called Harriett, Henrieta, and Penelope - Harry, Henny, and Penny. They have all since passed now so next I put coloured bands on their legs and their name started with the colour letter. i.e. Purple = Penny. Not sure where to go now with the next lot. I've run out of colours and really need the bands to help me identify each one in the early days until their characters emerge and I get to recognise them. Although I have 4 out of my 5 at the moment who all look very similar. There is only one that stands out as she is the clucky one and is now going into a full malt (very cold here in Melbourne Victoria, Australia).
Put two different bands on of different colors. Or use element symbols to start the names.

I always name my chickens! I have 14 Blossom, Jessie, lily, Marigold, hope, Daffy, Amelia, Royal, Almanzo, Leia, tilda, Belle, Evelyn and Josephine I was wondering if other people name their chickens?
Yes, I name my chickens. I have 12 Black Star laying hens named Layla, Maggie, Sadie, Lacy, Penny, Ivy, Lily, Lydia, Ruby, Raven, Daisy & Sunny and a Frizzle rooster named Cecil. 🐣

Back
Top Bottom