Do you play favorites? Admit it....it's OK....I won't tell the others....

I only have 3 - 1 BA (the snuggler), 1 RIR (the talker), 1 EE (the guardian)
Since we only have the three, we can spoil each one. I am forever thankful
to them for snapping me out of a nasty, lengthy, depression. I can't take
myself too seriously when I have chickens running in my yard and jumping
in my lap at times
celebrate.gif

Ya know, mine did the same thing for me! After 18 years, and many different medications, who knew that 4 chickens would do the trick?! I'm so glad you posted this
wee.gif

Hmmm i have 10 chickens and i do have some favorites here ill post some pictures ill have to get some better ones of my silkie :) But i have 2 that are tied for 1st place of my favorites hehe its my buff silkie names Chickie-doo and my Barred rock named Vera chickie-doo is soooo sweet she loves everyone and everything once you pick her up and put her in your lap she will just sit there and wont move you have to pick her up and put her back in her pen . Vera is a sweet heart also she sits in my lap forever also . its just amazing how much a chicken can change someones life . they make me a complete person . i love sitting in their pen and watching them well here are there cute and funny pictures

haha i love how you can see down her throat and the one under this one you can see her tounge hehe

i love how she sits in my lap and puts her neck over my arm and cuddles <3 <3
love.gif

I recently added a new hen to my little flock of eight, and the others are not giving her a nice welcome. She is at the bottom of the pecking order and the others make sure she knows it frequently. She doesn't even get to sleep with the others. I guess her pathetic situation really stirred my heart, because I am always holding, hand feeding and checking on her. Sick or sad animals will do that to me. Perhaps it was my fault though, there is probably a better way to introduce a new hen than to just stick her in there.

Poor little baby! I can see why she is your favorite.

The best way to introduce a new chicken to the flock is to place the new one(s) in a separate pen where the flock can see them. After about a week or two it should be alright to let the new chicken(s) into the pen with the others. During the isolation period, be sure to observe their behavior towards one another, looking for any extreme agression. Keeping the chicken separate but within view of the established flock allows the chickens to get acquainted from a safe distance.

Here's a great article on BYC about the chicken pecking order that I found really helpful.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/a-guide-to-understanding-the-chicken-pecking-order

dezzyi, your barred rock hen is so adorable. And yes, I had an adorable side kick that I favored - a Buff Orp named Minnie the Moocher. She always followed me everywhere and I could recognize her particular sounds even when I couldn't see her behind me. Miss that girl!

dezzyi, your barred rock hen is so adorable. And yes, I had an adorable side kick that I favored - a Buff Orp named Minnie the Moocher. She always followed me everywhere and I could recognize her particular sounds even when I couldn't see her behind me. Miss that girl!
Thank you soooo much
love.gif
omg the name minnie the moocher is soooooo dang cute hehehe!!!!

Of course we have a favorite. I have 8 different breeds but the Buffs are by far the most friendly. One in particular, Gracie, comes to my feet and waits to be picked up. She likes to be carried around, fed and generally babied. :) we also have an EE, Sugar, who loves attention.

Although we believe in " dual purposing" our birds.....no way these tow will get eaten......ever!

My favorite is Margaret Mary who wins that position because she is the most affectionate, racing up to me for a cuddle. I don't look this loving when I hold my grandkids!
that is so funny! I have more pix of my chickens on my cell phone than my grandson. I thought I might be the only one!
wink.png

pst - don't tell anyone.

Because of my crazy chicken lady stories, there are now two more people at work who have
gotten their first back yard chickens and one is contemplating it. She's doing her research.
The crazy chicken crew is growing
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom