Does anyone else use a Janoel incubator?

Yeh pretty sure HU is the humidity setting. I can't imagine it's anything else. But you can buy decent thermometers that also read humidity, I'd recommend getting one of those.
The thing with these smaller Janoel incubators seems to be, they're good at first and then people leave decent feedback, and then they steadily get worse. Feedback always seems high from online places, but people probably rate it after their first hatch, most people I've spoken to say it was good and then now it's rubbish.

My eggs are a week old. I've set my temp to 39.5 on my screen, which means it's about 37.5 in real life...it fluctuates from 36.8-38.2 now, even though I've set it not to fluctuate more than 0.5 of a degree. 7 out of 9 of my eggs seem to be fertilized and growing happily. I'm pretty paranoid about it though, I check on it probably 5 times a day when I'm in, maybe more.

I've wrapped the sides of the incubator in fabric because the air in the room is pretty chilly at the moment, about 12 degrees C. I also taped over half of the vent hole - all to try and stop massive fluctuations. I also adjusted the probe (that is attached to the bator) and taped it close to the vent hole, so it would read the coldest part of the inside, where cold air comes in.

My 9 chicken egg incubator was £65.00 incl postage from Ebay. I've had 7 healthy chickens from it so far who are all gorgeous and pecking about in my garden as we speak.
But did try to incubate 9 egs about a month ago and they all died, at different stages of growth, 2 were almost totally grown :(

I started to look up how complicated the electronics for incubators are, turns out, not very. If you know some one who's good at electronics, might be worth giving them a look.
You can even make your own incubator by using a normal light bulb, a sponge soaked in water and a box, you can even make an egg turner with an old disco ball motor, or turn them daily yourself.

Found this on youtube yesterday, very interesting to watch. Wish I'd seen this before I bought mine!

Making an incubator:

Making an automatic egg turner:

I'm definitely trying this out next time, just to see, hope this helps x
bow.gif

Last edited:
I have just bought a Janoel-10. I was disappointed cause it took so long to arrive and my eggs were waiting. I have set them this evening with fingers crossed. I think my eggs are about 6/7 days old and have been stored at room temperature pointy end down. I have kept the preset temperature of 38 degrees celcius. The incubator has a fan, but i am not sure if this means 'forced air'. Its my first time so I will be overwhelmed if I am successful. Will keep posting :fl

It's always best to store your eggs cool - below 10 degrees c if you can - they are fine for 10 days and I recently hatched turkey eggs over 14 days old with no problem - turn them at least twice a day whilst you are storing them so the yolk doesn't stick to a certain part of the inside of the shell - allow them to come to room temperature for 12-24 hours before putting them in the incubator - I have had better results with Janoel by manually turning - the automatic turner just rocks the egg from side to side settling back where it was at the end of the manoeuvre. I have also had better hatches by keeping the humidity lower for the first 18 days for chickens 30-40% - I do this by putting a small expresso cup of water in the centre of the incubator - and then stop turning on day 18 and increase the humidity to 55-60 % for the last 3 days - had a100% hatch with 14 turkeys using this method last time although with turkeys I keep the humidity even lower !! - I used 37.6 for temp and drop it to 37.3 for the last 3 days when I increase the humidity.
Good luck - happy hatching :)

I have just bought a Janoel-10. I was disappointed cause it took so long to arrive and my eggs were waiting. I have set them this evening with fingers crossed. I think my eggs are about 6/7 days old and have been stored at room temperature pointy end down. I have kept the preset temperature of 38 degrees celcius. The incubator has a fan, but i am not sure if this means 'forced air'. Its my first time so I will be overwhelmed if I am successful. Will keep posting
fl.gif

good luck!

Thanks for the info. Turkeys! Wow! Thats a long way off for me. My eggs are Cayuga ducks. I found the temp of the incubator to be way off from the other thermometers I used to double check. The incubator reads 39.5 and the other two thermometers read 37.7. My humidity reading is too high at 69% so I tried taking out some of the water but it does not make any difference. I am turning the eggs regularly by hand and will candle them on Thursday 22/5. Hopefully I will see some results.......

Thanks for the info. Turkeys! Wow! Thats a long way off for me. My eggs are Cayuga ducks. I found the temp of the incubator to be way off from the other thermometers I used to double check. The incubator reads 39.5 and the other two thermometers read 37.7. My humidity reading is too high at 69% so I tried taking out some of the water but it does not make any difference. I am turning the eggs regularly by hand and will candle them on Thursday 22/5. Hopefully I will see some results.......

i found this problem with my janoel bator too! on the bator it would say 38.5 but on the thermometer 36, but I'm not too worried I just check it every now and then and correct it! and for the humidity I don't have a humidity reader so I just kinda take a guess and hope its right! but I have found with my bator that I getter a better hatch rate doing the dry method!

If you take water out of the channel just making it shallower but not reducing the surface area available for evaporation it won't make any difference to the humidity -if you want to drop it don't use the channels use something else - a small cup, spounge, wet paper towel etc - I find the channel has too large a surface area and always give too high humidity

Thank you sooo much. That was a brilliant suggestion. I did not know I could do that. I took the water out and it is now reading 53% humidity which is much better. :thumbsup

Just candled my eggs cause I just couldn't wait til Thursday! Out of 6 eggs 3 are definately fertile with definate signs of development. I cant believe it is actually working, im so excited. Praying hard they continue to do well....:celebrate

Back
Top Bottom