Does my dog have rabies?

for a rabies shot to be legal and effective the dog needs ONE shot as a puppy, ONE shot ONE year later and then boosters as your state requires (1,2,3 years- each state is different) for you to say she "had it as a puppy" tells me she is NOT properly vaccinated

Bites from other rabid animals are definitely not always visible. I do definitely agree that it is a good idea to get her vaccinations up to date and you are legally required to have dogs vaccinated against rabies. Dogs should have up to date rabies (differs depending on state) and a yearly Distemper shot. Both rabies and distemper are easily transmissible and deadly. If she has not had a yearly distemper vaccination, she will need a booster 2-4 weeks after the first.

Other optional vaccines depending on your area include leptospirosis and Lyme. If she comes in contact with other dogs (dog park. Kennel, etc) she should also have a bordetella vaccine.

Another note is that rabies is spread by saliva, but all it takes for transmission is a cut on the hand and infected saliva to get in it. You don't necessarily have to be bit.

I know people don't always have the money for vet care, but there are often free sources for rabies shots that people can check into.

Last edited:
Rabies is not something you should ask about on a forum like this. If you even suspect your dog might have rabies, go to the vet immediately.

Rabies is 100% fatal. If you are exposed to rabies you will die. You can be exposed other ways than a bite but bites are the most common.

As all the other people have said, the best way do deal with it is to keep vaccinations up to date.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom