Dog and Goat

kerynnb

Hatching
May 26, 2016
I'm really looking to get a goat, but I'm not sure about getting two since I know they should be with at least 1 friend. I have a red heeler, and I'm wondering if it's possible for my dog to fill the space for a friend rather than a second goat although my dog would still spend time inside.

Expecting a dog to be a goat's friend is just asking for trouble. Dogs are predators by nature and goats are prey. Really, if you are unable or unwilling to have at least two goats, both you and the goat would be a lot better off if you didn't have any goats and instead got another animal. One that can more readily adapt to being alone. Sorry.

Totally agree, one goat is sad trouble. Most don't like dogs and a heeler will probably nip at it. Get two or don't get any, it's not in the best interest of the goat who bond tightly with other goats.

I agree with the others. Goats are herd animals and really need a friend of the same or similar species. Having two goats is really not much different or expensive than having one though. In fact, it's usually more fun.

Also a quick note: a goat that is lonely will be a very loud goat.

My goats are not fond of the dog. My boy got his head stuck under a fence and the dog ate his ear - the dog had never shown any inclination to leave his fenced yard ever before, till the goat was stuck. I got up from the porch to go get the goat unstuck and the dog was lightning fast and brutal to the extreme. I was able to save the goat, I fought the dog for the goats life, but the end result was a chewed up goat, a lot of stress and a dog that has become obsessed with stalking the goats and has to be either on a line, a leash or in a crate for the rest of his life because the second he gets loose he's headed at break neck speed towards the goat pens.

Ironically, the goats still treat the dog as if he is the stupidest creature on earth. The don't behave fearfully. They don't run or even really acknowledge him when he is outdoors or barks, but there is definitely a look of pure contempt. Stupid thing, got yourself tied to a peg because you couldn't just coexist. Come on girls. There is better grass over here on the hill.

The goat who got chewed up and recovered has become a peace loving hippie goat. He is so grateful to be alive, he's like the poster child for peace, unity and Nubian/Dwarf love.

Back
Top Bottom