Dog Breed Experience Poll/Database

Great Pyr - Chicken Chaser - might kill them (never let it get that far)
Blue Heeler - Chicken Killer with malice
Hound Mix - Chaser - maybe killer
Chihauhau - Chaser - Just for fun, doesnt want to kill them
Doxie - Scared of adult chickens (will avoid at all costs)

I have two miniature dachshunds. When the chickens are in their run, they ignore them for the most part, but will rush the wire just to get a rise.
If the chickens are out of the run (as I have learned) they're a free for all to my weinerschnappers.

So I would have to say that Dachshunds, miniature or standard, are chicken killers.

Interesting list. I have 3 border collies and 3 Australian cattledogs, all ignore the chickens. One of my collies tries to herd the chickens back to me (that's a sight!) with no luck. If anything, my chickens will peck the dog's noses. Please keep in mind, ALL dogs are predators therefore, ALL are able to kill chickens. My chickens do not run away from the dogs so they don't invoke the prey-chase in the dogs.

When it comes to dogs that are compatible with any farm animal, I don't think you can go wrong with a border collie. Surprised to hear of the labs attacking chickens though. You might want to check out http://gooddogbreeds.com for profiles on many different breeds.

American Bulldog. Leaves them alone, but likes to sniff their butts if they let him that close
big_smile.png

sheltie/spitz mix...amazing with the hens. tries to get them to play with her! i leave them outside together all day long and they totally get along. the BO follows the dog around. the SLW challenges her...tries to chest butt! LOL funny together.
lau.gif

I have a Doberman mix (don't know the "mixed" part) ... she's a Chicken Chaser. HOWEVER --- whenever I've had baby chicks in the house (in the brooder), she ALWAYS sticks her nose into the brooder to make sure everybody's OK. She's not looking to hurt them, just check'em out.

I also have a Golden Retriever, and he's a Chicken Ignorer.

Gwen

Last edited:
I literally just registered so I could post my response to your question! Last year a "little red hen" appeared in our suburban yard, and finding no owners we eagerly adopted her (named her Scarlett). I'm sure I don't have to tell you how quickly she stole our hearts! But to get to the point.....I have two dogs of my own, one is a pure-bred Keeshond and the other seems to be a Keeshond/Aussie mix. I was cautious at first, obviously, but Scarlett was way more interested in them than they ever were in her. (She found their fluffy coats to be an excellent roosting-spot, and fun for plucking!
wink.png
) The mixed dog is a cat chaser (NOT killer), but she never tried it with Scarlett. My sister's older Amer. Ger. Shep was the same. One of our neighbors has three pitbulls, and they literally snarled, gnawed, and clawed at the fence anytime she walked near it. NO DOUBT they would've had her for dinner! The other neighbors have a Rat Terrier, and only a partially-fenced yard so they frequently let the dog roam the neighborhood at night--- better than having to walk it, right?
sad.png
They actually loved to visit Scarlett, and said they wouldn't let the dog loose anymore b/c it liked to go after wild birds, etc. However.......it turns out that instead they just waited until the middle of the night to let her out (as in, 2-3AM). So, eventually the dog managed to scale our six food privacy fence, work its way into the enclosure, and kill Scarlett right there in her bed (which, thankfully, means she was asleep...I hope)! The dog then dragged her body back out of the enclosure and up over the fence to it's own yard. Her carcass was gone by the time I was out looking for it, so I first assumed fox--the wild kind--(even though we're well away from any wooded areas). But with the help of my Keeshond I soon found the telltale trail of blood and feathers, leading straight to their backyard (and a fox would have literally no reason to go back there). The neighbors still act dumb about it ("WHAT? Do you really think so...?!"), even though they had to have found Scarlett and disposed of her! I realize I could have just told you that "a rat terrier killed my girl", but I feel like the details are important, here. Most ANY dog can have its inner prey drive triggered by the sight of a chicken running away (most will also listen to their owners when told not to chase). But it seems like only a few breeds would A.) Be triggered by the animal's presence alone, even when it doesn't "act like" prey; and B.) Have the tenacity to later methodically hunt and kill the poor creature at night, while it lay motionless (it didn't even incite her to run first!)!! You'll notice that both of the "chicken-dangerous" dog breeds in my experience have been terriers. And trust me, I'm not alone. I don't think you'll find an expert who disagrees with the fact that the Terrier group, as a whole, is the least trustworthy when it comes to other animal species. It's literally in their blood....they were bred not just to hunt, but to hunt in all sorts of crazy conditions and without being distracted!!! I have nothing against Terriers in general---they're often also the best family dogs! But when it comes to chickens (etc), give them a wide birth and NEVER turn your back!!!!

Back
Top Bottom