Dog Breed Experience Poll/Database

7 labs all killers
but one will be ok if out with just me and no other dogs out,but if out alone will kill.
3 malinois all killers,but they do eat what they kill.
Stray cat,he/she looking but a great mouser/snake killer every time I see the thing it is eating some thing,and is smart enough to stay away from dogs so for now my new pet.

I had a neopolitian mastiff/presa canario mix that I loved very much, and unfortunately I would put her under chicken killer.

Last edited:
English Setter-chases and catches but hasn't killed. I always got the chicken away from her, don't know if she would or not.

Alaskan Malamutes- chicken killers - one bite one kill

Alaskan huskies- one killer one scared to death of them

Chow Chow-ignored them

Irish Red and White Setter- catch and restrain chicken but didn;t kill

Irish Wolfhound-watched but never hurt

2 lab/shepherd mixes. One would kill them if he could catch them. The other one is a chicken guard dog. He keeps himself between the chickens and the other dog. Hardly conclusive for breed type, but interesting.

My Sheltie cross - ignores the chickens, loves to lick the baby chicks LOL

Black lab from next door - killed a couple when he was a pup (played with them)...now he can't be bothered with them

Great Dane from down the street - eats my chickens whole - beaks, feet and all! Thankfully he has good owners who went out of their way to make sure they did everything they could to make amends and they continue to work hard to make sure it never happens again.

My Golden Retriever/ Irish Setter mix ignores the chickens (which really is weird people have told me since both breeds are bird hunters) I have only seen him chase a ravin, but he never touches my chickens. Sometimes he will help me catch the chickens for shows or baths he will gently follow them around untill he gets them near the coop. My greyhound/husky mix just ignores them.

Then there is my brothers dog who is border collie/german shepered and australian shepherd. He will chase the chickens and pulls feathers out. He will also sit by our screen door and never take his eyes off of them. And when we try to let him sniff them he will shake and just stare at it, but wont bite. We think its all the herding instinct. He has never killed a chicken, but I think that if he was alone with them for a long period of time he would eventually kill them.

2 basset hounds, not killers!
celebrate.gif

my female(Minnie) was always very protective of the baby chicks. She never allowed (Sarge, may he rest in peace.) anywhere near them bc he just got everly excited and would get the chicks all chirpping really loud. Even now when she gets near one of the girls she just licks them to her hearts content..or until they get away.
lau.gif

1 pointer/hound mix...I'm not so sure yet.
idunno.gif
But she does love their eggs!
clap.gif

Last edited:
Great Dane/Great Pyrenees cross -Chicken killer
Chow/? cross -chicken ignorer
Lab/Aussie cross - chicken protector
Purebred Australian shepherd- chicken chaser, goat chaser, would have killed roo if I hadn't saved him in time
Basset -interested but did not chase or harm
Australian cattle dog/beagle cross- ignorer

2x American pit bull terriers one ignores the chickens and one runs from them (of course the chickens taunt and chase her).

Back
Top Bottom