Dog Breed Experience Poll/Database

3 st. schauzers two very good ignoring one killed every chicken who came over the fence!
1 dobe that raised 7 chicks, including the ability to herd them back into their pen.

Last edited:
I have had 3 border collies that were excellent with chickens...the two I have now aRe OK as long as I am there with them. My Jack Russell cannot be left out with the chickens--she will kill anything she can catch(we are working on it, but she is much dumber than the collies!) THe beagle ignores them for the most part...unless they have bread then she is right there with them wolfing it down! I had a golden retriever that liked to kill chickens. My rat terriers are old but they wouldnt hurt them at all even when they were younger. Terri O

I'm with the group that says it is the individual dog not its breed, but some times there will be tendencies. I think we are really trying to gauge how much prey drive people think these breeds have. So as long as it as taken as only one piece of the decision of what dog breed to get and also take other things into consideration. As a volunteer with a dog rescue group, I appreciate it when people research their dog and type before they adopt.

I haven't had chickens long but I've had alot of dogs exposed to my own chickens in the short time I've had chickens. Our chickens do not free range, but the dogs I have I would trust the most are the border collie/aussie in particular. Next I'd pick a golden retriever I have and our Karelian bear dog mix and a ridgeback cross. Also foster dogs that we had here that were good with the chickens were a great dane, a saint bernard, a doxie, a basset hound, a shihtzu,

Our "bad" dogs have been a rottie/aussie we fostered, a boxer/pit bull we have, very high prey drive, our purebred rhodesian ridgeback who would KILL and a labrador foster we had, who thought chickens were for chasing and retrieving as well as a pointer who caught one for me and nicely dropped it, but damaged it along the way so it eventually died. The dog was actually gentle and good but the chicken still died so I'd have to rate that as a kill for you (English pointer). The pointer I believe would have been good with chickens with training.

From my experience in rescue and these experiences, I'd have to pick border collie as one of the first breeds I'd think of getting if I wanted a good farm dog with chickens. My border collie/aussie wants a very close relationship with her person however but is the best dog on earth to us. So they would get my Chicken Dog of the Day award.

Pug-indifferent to anything other than food
Golden Retriever- one attempt to "play"with a chicken......application of electric collar.....another attempt to "play"....one zap......no further interest in chickens or ducks x 3 years now.

I have had two Golden Retrievers who will lay on the ground while the chickens peck through their tails looking for bugs. They took about two times of telling NO in a big scary voice and then never bothered the chickens again.

Purebred dogs have been bred for years for specific traits. One reason they have been bred is for the differences in dispositions. So breed will give you a geneal idea of how a dog should get along with chickens. Of course there is differences in each dog. My active nose orientated Vizsla makes a great SAR dog. My choice for training another SAR dog would not be a Papillon or a Basenji or a Greyhound. As a side note the little Brussels Griffon makes a good SAR dog too.

farrier! :

Purebred dogs have been bred for years for specific traits. One reason they have been bred is for the differences in dispositions. So breed will give you a geneal idea of how a dog should get along with chickens. Of course there is differences in each dog. My active nose orientated Vizsla makes a great SAR dog. My choice for training another SAR dog would not be a Papillon or a Basenji or a Greyhound. As a side note the little Brussels Griffon makes a good SAR dog too.

Do they still make Basenjis? A wonderful dog if you know what you are doing, and have an on-call psychiatrist.
tongue.png
I had one for seventeen years. That is a Basenji, not psychiatrist.
roll.png

A Basenji, is like living with a monkey crossed with a cat and a two-year old child. Can out smart any living human anytime.
lol.png
But I loved that dog.
love.gif
wee.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Do they still make Basenjis? A wonderful dog if you know what you are doing, and have an on-call psychiatrist.
tongue.png
I had one for seventeen years. That is a Basenji, not psychiatrist.
roll.png

A Basenji, is like living with a monkey crossed with a cat and a two-year old child. Can out smart any living human anytime.
lol.png
But I loved that dog.
love.gif
wee.gif

I have a friend who breeds them. Neat dogs but I really love our hyper Vizslas. They come with us when we do endurance ride training.

I have 2 shi tzus. The male is a chicken ignorer and keeps away. The little female is a friend and wants to play-runs around smelling butts and the chickens ignore her or move awayl

Back
Top Bottom