Dog Breed Experience Poll/Database

I have a australian shepard/border collie cross and a purebred Pembroke Welsh Corgi. Both herding dogs. I would not trust either one of them with the chickens. The last time the mix got a chicken (It had wandered into the yard) She ( The mix) pummeled it so bad I had to save it. I am not saying she would have killed it on purpose, but she would pummel it or toss it around enough it would get injured enough to die or die of a freakin' heart attack. She does this with our goats too, she just terrorizes them enough that they run cause she is aggrevating. The corgi is afraid of anything that is bigger than her. I do not trust her around US, so certainly would not want her around the chickens.

Last edited:
Golden Retriever - Chicken Friendly....If trained!!

I've had 3 Golden Retrievers since I've had chickens and they never harmed any. All my Silkies free range with the dogs there.
It took 2 months to train my Golden puppy. She was completely UNsupervised with the chickens at 3-4 months old.

It helps if you have an adult dog that's chicken friendly before getting a new puppy. They will sense from the older dog that chickens are off limits.

Labradoodle. Chicken killer.

Would only be a chicken lover in the sense that she loves to kill chickens.

Two chicken chaser/not killers here are a pug and a Golden Retriever *puppy*. We had a GR who was a chicken ignorer as an adult. This puppy could cross the line but we're not giving him the chance.
Had an Australian Shepherd who was an ignorer.

I have a Collie and a Great Dane; both of them ignore the chickens completely. They can be left outside with the chickens without any worries. I can't say that I've seen any evidence of them "guarding" the chickens, but they certainly don't mind them. The chickens will do their thing all around the dogs and neither of the dogs seem to care.

My dogs that AREN'T good with chickens:
-Pomeranian
-Cairn/Yorkie Mix (terriers)
-Chihuahuas will chase them, but not bite.

The dogs that I trust around them:
-husky/lab but she has been raised around them since young puppyhood
-18 year old Lab/Shepherd has been around them since he was 4 with no matter.

I just wanted to add. The Pomeranian and Chihuahuas were all here before chickens. They aren't used to chickens. The Husky/Lab was 7 weeks old when she met them. Any breed can be good or bad around them. I personally have found that terriers like to chase them if they are flying around.

Last edited:
We have 3 dogs and DHs best friend has 2 that I will include since they come over to our house and free-range with our chickens (as well his his own chickens):

Chicken Ignorer:
Border Collie/Brittany/who knows what else...mutt.
Pit Bull/Australian Shepherd mix (1/2 and 1/2 - parents were purebred)
Pit Bull

Chicken Friend:
Pit Bull/Australian Shepherd mix (1/2 and 1/2 - parents were purebred...sibling of one listed above)
Australian Cattle Dog

All of the of above listed dogs were not raised with chickens either. All were adults before any of us got chickens! We are still trying to teach the Pit Bull/Australian Shepherd (the chicken friend one) that even though she wants to be friends with the chickens and play with them, they don't want to play with her.
roll.png
She's gotten bit on the nose a couple times from one of my hens. She looks at us like "What was that for?".

Last edited:
Chicken Guarder - mutt, Australian Shepherd X Blue Heeler (a.k.a. Australian Cattle Dog), most like a Blue Heeler

Chicken Ignorer - mutt, Dachsund x Cocker Spaniel, most like Dachsund

I think that how you've trained your dog matters a whole lot more than what breed it is. All I can contribute is that I know Australian Shepherds must herd ducks in order to get their herding championship, so clearly they can at least be trained to not chase/attack poultry.

Back
Top Bottom