Dog Breed Experience Poll/Database

our Black Russian Terrier Cleopatra
17886_bigblackchicken.jpg

She guards, she herds when needed, does a head count every night.
Yes, she killed a day-old chick once. I think she caught it as it left the compound and was trying to return it where it belonged. I'll never forget the look on her face when I yelled at her to drop it. She had no idea she was scaring it to death.
Oh... and she guards against rooster sneak attacks. nice puppy:)

Okay have daughter's GP/lab mix,he's a chicken chaser and mauler not to kill but birds don't know that. VERY Protective of the house with strangers.

Bassett, is way to lazy to chase and likes them around

Australian sheppard, chicks were raised in the house with him for a period of time he knows they are babies never bothers

8 wk old pug/boxer mix, wants to chase but has been scolded not to but I still see the drive there.

Cats too small to take them on and the ducks keep the cats in line about birds. LOL

Rat terrier/ Jack Russell mix are chicken killers i have 2 of them, i tend to call them cats because they would rather hunt/kill their own food than eat their dog food i do not know where they got it one of them is a puppy of the best dog i ever had she was a rat terrier and loved any thing i did she never even thought of hurting a chicken she actually protected them and while she was alive but now my run and coop is 100% dog prove and have not had a problem sense. one of my dogs would not kill one i do not think but the other one only needs one chance

Last edited:
I have a 1/4 Chow Chow, 1/4 Lab, 1/2 "southern hound dog" aka Mutt, and she coexists peacefully. Mostly a chicken IGNORER I'd say.
Same with OUR cats. She knows what is part of the pack and therefore protected by mama.
Otherwise chasing things seems to be a game for her, like a puppy, she doesn't have much drive to actually catch the "prey". She doesn't fetch and she doesn't like to win "tug" either - she would rather just play the game.

Ignoring 2 month old chicks:
2months021.jpg

Was funny after C-mas I put out some corn cobs for the birds to pick over. The rooster was at one end of the pile and Dusti was sniffing the other end. They met about the middle and Mr Roo gave Dusti a peck on the head!
lau.gif
I about fell over laughing!

Where's the list for scared to death of chickens?
tongue.png

Chihuahua - Ignores/Scared to death
Chihuahua/Doxie - Ignores
Boxer - Wants to play with, could kill on accident
Chinese Crested - Ignores

Quote:
Seems to me it is the same list as dogs NOT good with chickens. (killers)
It is also the list of guardians to chickens... and so on. Goes to show you EVERY
breed can get along with livestock... it has to do with training, the owner and the dog.

4 dogs and 4 city chickens

Last edited:
Chicken Friend: English Mastiff (sleeps with a chicken during the day, otherwise ignores their existence)

Chicken Killer: Brussels Griffon (a rescue that got my Silkie, didn't kill it, but I rescued it just in time), Boston Terrier (killed 7 of my young hens in about 5 minutes)

Likely a Killer: GSD mix...he had a really high prey drive

Questionable/Friend?: Brussels Griffon (my own Griff loves to play with the chickens, and they are not scared of her as she is very small, so they run round and round, chasing her, but she would likely play a baby chick to death. Griffs do have terrier in them)

I have 2 pit bulls that are excellent with the chickens... in that they see them and ignore everything they do. We did have one chicken death shortly after I got the chickens (12 weeks old) we had a chicken "played with" to death (my 2 and a foster dog were left unsupervised with chickens for the first time ever for 2-3 hours). But they were very upset with the dead chicken. Oscar, my teddy bear of a dog, was laying next to it, very gently nuzzling it when I found the scene. Not a feather missing, no blood, but a very broken dead chicken. Never had a problem in the 2 years since, the chickens literally walk right over the dogs. Maybe it was the foster dog that did it... I don't know.

My lesson: Don't leave dogs and chickens unsupervised that soon after introduction (the chickens had been outside for 6 weeks, and free ranging for 2 weeks).

I'd consider them both chicken ignorers or chicken friends.

Border Collie - chicken chaser
Kelpie - Chicken friend/guardian
Border Collie/Kelpie cross - chicken fetcher
big_smile.png

Shih tzu - chicken killer, and my Great Dane was afraid of them and the cat. Go figure. I run an insane asylum for dogs apparantly.
*sigh*

Back
Top Bottom