Dog Breed Experience Poll/Database

I have 5 dogs and heres how they range

Pit bull- Chicken Chaser, and if given a chance I think he'd kill
2 Chihuahuas- Would never hurt chickens, and both totally ignore them.
Maltese-Chicken friend & protector.
Rat terrier-Ignores Chicken's.

Maltese Daisy w/ the girls

I'll have to chime in on this one...

Boston Terrier-extremely high prey drive. I got her as an adult (1 yr. old) and the first thing she did was grab a chick. I yelled at her, shook her collar, and she never did it again. She is now the ultimate flock guardian, even breaking up chicken fights. Unfortunately, she also breaks up the geese trying to breed, since they are very loud and flappy!
lol.png
I found her with a fox she killed. It was facing the direction of the chicken house, and I'm sure that is why she killed it. I do allow her to kill bullfrogs and squirrels, when she can catch them. It satisfies her prey drive, and keeps the yard and pool clear of pests. She chases off strange dogs, and helps me round up lost babies that wander too far. She is too much of a people pleaser to do anything to disappoint me.

Border Collie mix- wandered up and has been ok. She chewed on a few chicks and they had to be put down. She also grabbed a half-grown chicken and was running up to the barn with it. I yelled, and she dropped it, and it ran back to me. Unhurt and completely dry. I'm not convinced she wasn't taking it up to the barn for the night. Sounds weird, but if she was going to hurt it, she would have.
idunno.gif
She's pretty good. I don't trust her completely, but she does sleep in the barn with them, and everyone is accounted for in the morning. She and the geese chew on each other...they pinch her and she nibbles their beaks. Not enough to hurt or leave a mark, and they seem to enjoy it?? She does run from the guineas!
tongue.png

Pyrenees mix- horrible dog. Worst dog ever. Not only killed chickens and guineas, but also skinned my geese alive. That one was a SSS. I tried to give it away, but no one wants a chicken killer.
hmm.png

We are looking to get a good watch dog that will protect the property, and not harass our animals. So far the Pits sound the best, but I don't think they would do good as an outside only dog. I am glad this thead is still going, and no one is taking offense.
clap.gif

Shelly

My vote goes to the border collie. I'm teaching mine right now to take down the roo when he attacks me. He's gentle but firm. His only job is to aim to please me and he's so full of love!! He loves it when I let the chicks out but immediately thinks its his job to get them back in. We still have some work to do.

Well I have a Great Dane, Pit bull mix and a collie/border collie mix who are all excellent with the chickens. They are great guards and the pitbull mix has taken a few hits from skunks to protect them. They love to see the babies and let me know if they hear peeps from the bator. I just got a PW Corgi who in just the week and half he has been here has shown great chicken skills!! The terrier mix forget it. he is fine if i am holding, but free range he may chase (depends o his mood)

Irish wolfhound - not so good with chickens. As sight hounds, they love to chase anything that moves. Not necessarily a chicken hater, because when he catches them, he just likes to play with them. Unfortunately, he plays a little too rough for the poor chickens.

Here he is at 8 months.

22071_isabelle_and_friends_012.jpg

Last edited:
I have a boxer. She is very hyper and will chase anything that moves. she has had to be reprimanded several times for chasing the chickens when she was younger..a year later, she has it down now that they are just a part of the family and she is not to chase them. she chases the cat, but it doesn't run so she just licks it until it is wet.

my JRT was a chicken killer. my min pinXJRT was too, my GoldenDoodle was also..... We are now dogless...

Great idea what u r doing here!

Back
Top Bottom