Dog Breed Experience Poll/Database

I agree with redhan, It all somes down to training no matter what the breed.

I have a rottie/shepard cross that wants to eat my chickens and I am sure that she would kill them given half the chance, then again she has had no training around chickens at all, I just dont have the time or energy.

I also have a shih-poo (shihtzuXpoodle) who is very high energy who likes to chase the chickens for fun. Im not sure what she would do if she ever caught one though considering she is half the size of the buffs. I am sure that with more training she will make a fine chicken dog, but if I didnt work with her everyday I know she would be a chicken killer.

Well, I'll jump in.

I have a german shephard, a labrador and a Great Pyr. They are all fine with chickens. As a very young pup the GSD killed a chicken, but we were always pretty sure he scared it to death. That was 6 years ago, and nothing since. The GP was seperated from the chickens, as he is 10 months old, well over 100 pounds and WAY TOO MUCH PUPPY!!! Except now the chickens keep going into his kennel and hanging out with him. He has yet to touch one, and its thier fault. He free ranges fine with them, I have more trouble with him and the goats.

Now, we once adopted a german shephard/labrador mix from the pound, who went out of her way to kill chickens. Did not matter WHAT we did. We did all the training, the shock collar, the hang the dead chicken, the positive/negative reinforcement. We finally removed her from the field. Then one morning she wiggled her way INTO the field and killed everything she could get ahold of. I lost 2 dozen chickens that day, she left the next.

Point is this- this thread may end up misleading someone new to the lifestyle. It is very rarely about any specific breed. I love my GP and he is beyond gentle with the chickens. I also just read someone's answer that they had a killer. It is truly IMPOSSIBLE to say this breed of dog is good for birds, this one bad. You would think my lab would be bad, but she simply doesn't care. It is all in the individual dog. Some dogs are good city dogs, some dogs are good farm dogs. You have to train the dog, and see what happens.

my 2 cents.

I have a Lhasa Apso that is good with the chickens. He is a guarding breed and ignores them because they are part of his territory. He is like a miniature LGD. My neighbors have 2 rhodesian ridgebacks that are chicken killers and will be shot if I ever see them on my property again.

Quote:
That'd be our Grace the Border Collie. She was the exception to the rule. She would lay in wait for them to wander by and then jump out, grab them, shake them til their necks were broken. Grace was rehomed to a lovely farm WITHOUT chickens.

I'm putting the training involved with the status too, each dog is different and received different levels of training.

Doberman - Chicken Killer, x's 2 of the breed, extensive training, no dice.

German Shepherd - High Potential of Chicken Killing through "play" or lack of training (experienced Shepherd owner here, have 2 now, have had 5 total) #1-no training, just needed to know "MY chickens, not your's", #2 Chicken Chaser for fun, training about NOT chasing them, #3 7 months of professional training through Schutzhund, never would do anything without permission, including chicken chasing. #4 and #5 Chicken Intrigued, #4 requires reminders about "teasing" the chickens, #5 could care less, but wonders why they get more treats than him. 3 months total training on #4 and #5, #4 is on going.

Beagle - Chicken Killer - extensive training to no avail.

Boston Terrier/Beagle - Chicken Lover - not much training. Excellent baby duck "momma" and Rabbit Play Toy (was a boy dog!)

Boston Terrier/Chihuahua - Chicken Tolerant - introduction and minimal training

(would like to try a purebred Boston Terrier since the mixes were so awesome)

Rottweiler - Chicken Chaser, after training Chicken Guard... something the Doberman couldn't switch to after training. 1 month of consistant training.

Cattle Dog (Blue Heeler) - Chicken tolerant, Chicken Herder after training (MUST be trained, high potential for chicken killing!) 1 year total training in extensive obedience and tricks, chicken stuff just part of more elaborate training. Chicken part prolly took about 3 weeks.

Jack Russel/Beagle - CHICKEN KILLER, no ifs, &'s or but's about it. He was the only dog I've ever taken to a pound, no one would take him, he refused to learn no matter what method you used, he ate walls and furniture, the only thing he ever did right was potty training. The only dog I've ever hated.

I only lost 5 ducks to the Beagle. The rest I labeled as Killers because I learned a lesson from the Beagle, and protected my flock from dogs I knew would be a danger. The JRT/Beagle would have been, hands down, a killer. But I never gave him the chance.

My goldens seem pretty compatible w/my birds. My male wants nothing more than to eat the treats that I put out for them. My barred rock will fly up onto his back, and he will just give a look like "help me...what do I do???" My female is young, and I wouldn't trust her as much as the male due to her age and personality. So far, she shows much more interest in eating their poop than the birds themselves. I can't see her killing a chicken outright. But I could see her chasing one (if unsupervised) into a fence or something, because she'll gleefully chase our two younger cats across the yard (if they run) when she's feeling rambunctious (the same cats with whom she snuggles and plays). Until age settles her down a bit, I would not trust her alone w/my chickens.

Quote:
Unless the chickens get her first!
My Jack Russell/dachshund cross was about to chase a flock of 5 but they turned on her. She ran inside and hid under the bed.
Since then, 3 years ago, she hasn't tried to hurt them. After her "traumatic event" she would occasionally try to get them to play. Sometimes they would chase her back but not always. Poor little dog, neither of my older dogs play so she was reduced to playing with chickens!
Also, when John the runner duck tried to breed the pullets she ran at him and barked, but he would turn on her and chase her back. Now that he has a bigger harem he leaves the chickens alone.
She's grown up a bit and hardly even notices them any more.

To introduce my other 2 dogs to the chickens, long before that, I put them on a leash and when they showed any interest at all I just gently pulled on the leash and said "no". It took about 4 sessions each, if that. The dogs and chickens don't even notice each other any more.
One exception - Stella, a Sheltie/something cross, felt obliged to walk behind some new POL girls I got for a few days until they settled in.

My rough Collie is great with the chickens and ducks, herds them, guards them, etc. My Newfoundland puppy is pretty good, I don't trust her yet (she is only 3 1/2 months), but she basically just barks at them. I never would have trusted my GSD with them though, and the Australian Shepherd down the street is pretty good, he likes to scatter them, but he doesn't actually chase. It really all comes down to training and age, I would never expect a playful puppy not to try and chase them some. The terrier mixes down the street might try and hurt the chickens, but my rooster taught them a lesson or two about boundarys (they don't come anywhere near our yard anymore).

Thinking a bit more about the JR/Doxie cross I have...
Although she's been fine with the adult birds, ducks and chickens, she spent a lot of time trying to get at my hatched ducklings last summer. Constant whining when they were inside, then digging under the cage when I took them outside. I think it's because they started off smaller than her, plus they sound like squeaky toys.
I'm hoping she'll have mellowed a bit by late spring when my next hatch will happen.

Back
Top Bottom