Dog Breed Experience Poll/Database

My two border collies were pretty easy to train to "leave it". The oldest loves to stalk and watch them, but doesn't go after them. The youngest is a big wimp around them and is leery of them - especially since our roo chased her across the yard. I've had two goldens that loved to chase chickens and would probably have eaten them, if they'd been caught.

Beth

Quote:
I've read/responded to several dog & chicken threads. The general theme seems to be prey drive matters more than breed. Some breeds such as terriers
hide.gif
that have been bred to go after rabbit, fox (though that one would be good!) etc. are more likely to go for the birds, though you will still find "couch potatos" among them.

If you want your dog to be around the birds you need to take your time doing introductions and make it clear that the chickens are yours and not to be messed with. Also, and most importantly, pay attention to the dogs reactions AND don't lie to yourself if you have a niggling feeling that the dog might decide to play with the birds the minute your back is turned. I've read many a heartbreaking thread where the family dog suddenly decided the chooks were nifty squeaky toys as soon as the owners decided it was safe to leave them all out together without supervision.

That being said, I free range my birds on our nine acres. The dogs, particularly my cranky lady lab mix have access to them whenever they go outside. This has been a blessing for me because the lab mix respects that the birds are mine (The BOSS) and while her prey drive is relatively low she is very territorial and does not tolerate intrusions from anything and helps keep the coyotes, hawks, neighbor dogs, mail lady (not such a good thing) and strangers off of the property.

This one's kind of a gimme, but Border Collies are excellent. I'm sure someone will have an exception, but in my experience, a border collie would rather chew his leg off at the knee than disappoint you. If you want a dog that will be easy to train, eager to please, and nearly flawlessly obedient, border collie is your dog.

That said, as has been mentioned in previous posts, I have to emphasize the training part. I can't think of any dog that wouldn't think chasing chickens is fun. They need to be taught what to/not to do.

I have had a field spaniel = chicken lover and foster mum to incubator chicks!

Dackle - took a little training then she was a brilliant chicken guardian but never really liked the chickens themselves.

My current dog is a South African Boerboel, (large pit bull / mastiff type dog) - chicken roost! Yes, they love her so much they use her to perch on. She is very protective of them and loves them with a passion. We have had no predators since she took care of the foxes
smile.png

I had purchased a young Great Pyrenees puppy and tried to train it for 7 patient months. Had grown up with one and she never bothered any of my parents chickens or any other farm birds/animals, loved them all.

The one I had was a sneaky, natural born chicken killer
rant.gif
and was starting to work on my cats...just could not stop her and finally sent her to another family that had 8 acres and no chickens. I bought her to stop predators and she turned into the worst one. Just the luck of the draw I suppose or maybe not a well bred dog. Don't know but love my chickens and will not own another dog.

Honestly..it all comes down to training the dogs..
I didnt train mine well around my birds...my ducks are all dead now. Its my fault.

Our Bassy is the best around all of our chickens (ducks and geese when we had them). He's been curious (especially when the chicks are in the brooder he hovers over them like a big brother) but otherwise he treats them as well as our cats as just one of the gang. But then he'd lick somebody to death that was trying to break in to the house for that matter. He's a goof!

5340_escam_058.jpg

He's tied here at our last house since we hadn't a fence and his nose had a tendency to get him in trouble
roll.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom