Dog Grooming Question

Bantamlover23

Songster
11 Years
Aug 6, 2008
Chuluota, FL
A friend of mine wants me to shave their Golden retriever. They keep asking me how much but I am not sure what to ask? I am also not a dog groomer but I do shave the Cocker Spaniels we have. And they think that I do a good job.

OK, I know nothing about grooming,but I just took my GSD to my girlfriend, who is a groomer - she did the bathing,clipping ear thing, and I gave her $40 - no shaving, though
When I took same GSD to a regular groomer, they were going to charge me $45.

In all honesty, if a friend asked me to shave their dog and I had the equipment...I would do it for free(with their help of course). If you were a dog groomer, and did it for a living that would be different.

I suppose it depends how good of a friend it is...

I am a NCMG through National Dog Groomers Association of America. I would not shave down a golden unless a vet required it as part of a medical issue treatment. Sundownwaterfowl has it exactly right. Read the info they posted. Its good and its accurate. If I did have one that had to be clipped down per a vets request I would charge 80 to 100 depending on size of dog and density of the coat and that price would include clipping nails,cleaning picky glands,cleaning ears and of course the bath and dry as well as any treatment type shampoos that were needed.
good luck

Quote:

Excuse me, but I beg to differ. I am a professional groomer and I cant tell you how many dogs Ive seen come in to the clinic I used to work with that almost died because of the hair on them. Ive shaved many goldens and they have never had a problem. Ive seen too many dogs end up at the vets with heat stroke because someone said "Thier fur isulates them." Yeah, it does!! You try wearing a full fur coat outside that you cant get out of and see how long YOU last. It only helps them in the region they are from, say like Alaskan Malamutes. NOT the heat and humidity that can get so high its even dangerous for humans. And you expect them to suffer thru that because its inhumane? I dont shave the dog to the skin, but only short enough to keep him cool. MOST dogs have sense to stay out of the sun by finding a shady place or stay inside so they are not exposed to being sunburned or anything harmful.
Shaving does make it easier for the owner to pick of ticks and see fleas more readily. It also prevents the possible occurance of hotspots on the dog. Yes, they still shed, but the fur is so short, its not as noticable. You only shave the body, leave the had and tail and I usually leave little"booties" as sometimes the hair is so short and tight close to thier feet, its next to impossible to shave it. No, it is NOT wrong to shave ANY dog. Heck, I even shave chihuahuas. Ive shaved bulldogs, pits, labradors, you name it, and the owners never had a problem. If I had a golden, Id definitly shave his butt during the summer to keep him cool.

Rammy

Last edited by a moderator:
I shave my Saint bernard down now...
I loooove it! and so does he.
Hes never left in the sun or the cold though...
The lady that shaves him for me is a Saint Bernard recuse foster home, and she shaves hers down too.
Again.. they are NOT to be left in the sun or cold though.... these are INDOOR dogs.

Ive shaved those too. I think any dog can be shaved as long as the person does it takes into account what blade really will do the job but keep the dog comfortable. I will not shave a dog so that their skin is showing. Alot of my clients want them so short it would show skin and I will refuse and tell them to take the dog somewhere else or if I did that why would they want to risk my razor burning thier dog and causing pain? That usually gets them.<g>There is one retriever that I use a 3 and 3/4 on. Takes him short, but still leaves him alot of hair. One blade a groomer will use on one dog will not look as good on another dog even if they are the same breed because each dog will have a totally different texture to thier coat. Its the same as not every woman <or man> can wear the same pair of jeans. You have to gauge the dogs coat and determine which blade and or cut will best suit the dog. I say, if you want to shave your Golden, do it, just talk to the groomer or person doing it and make sure they understand what you want. I know you were looking for price and I will tell you normally, when I have groomed such a dog, it depends on the coat and the dogs cooperation. I think the most Ive charged for that type of dog is around $65.00.

Rammy

Back
Top Bottom