Dog killed my chickens, I killed the dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that has been very useful for keeping my flock safer in their run, is a hot wire run about 18 inches off the ground and another one at the top of the 6 foot enclosure. I have seen a couple of neighbors dogs hit the wire and they have never been back for a second try. So far, I have not lost a bird to a dog or coyote in their run. I know this doesn't help when you are free ranging, but due to a huge population of hungry hawks that was not an option for me - lost too many birds that way.

There was a period of time when I wouldn't let my birds range because of predators unless I was going to be out in the field with them. The electric netting comes in handy when temporarily fencing off an area of range as long as the birds aren't flighty. Still, if hawks are a problem, covered yards are the only way if you aren't standing out in the field with them.

OP,

Did the neighbors reply for your request for restitution for the chickens? I'm very curious as to how they will respond.

I hope they will do the right thing. They are in the wrong here. You did what you needed to do to protect your flock.

Leigh

Why is it the animals are always the ones who suffer for humans stupidity! Your chickens that poor dog sure there was a better solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom